PSegnatelli

Bears

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Anyone else seeing alot more bears this year?

Had 5 different bears in my yard over the weekend. Another one today, may have been the one from Fri.   All young except one tagged one. 

But since Feb I think Ive seen over a dozen.   Give or take a couple.  

I'm in mid CT, east of CT River, South of Hartford. Have seen photos of bears in our area but none in my yard yet. Which is fine. I don't need them eating my tomatoes, cukes, and sugar snaps. I know they're around but don't have bird feeders out now and always burn the grill off pretty good. 

I'd like to see DEEP establish a hunting season for them before they get out of control. The numbers are really as high as they've been since they were extirpated from CT in like 1845. 

I work in Stratford, and they've been seen as far down as there.Mostly young'uns.  Irving in Milford, pretty much the same. Seeing a few,all young.

21 mins ago, Good2Go said:

I'm in mid CT, east of CT River, South of Hartford. Have seen photos of bears in our area but none in my yard yet. Which is fine. I don't need them eating my tomatoes, cukes, and sugar snaps. I know they're around but don't have bird feeders out now and always burn the grill off pretty good. 

I'd like to see DEEP establish a hunting season for them before they get out of control. The numbers are really as high as they've been since they were extirpated from CT in like 1845. 

Forget hunting them here. That isn't going to happen anytime soon. We can't get a dove season, do you really think we'd have a bear season? What we really need is to figure out a way to get  get the coyote numbers down.. They're reeking havoc on game populations! They are everywhere.Hit your turkey call and the damn things come running out of the woods. Seeing mangled deer carcasses in most places where I hunt. In one spot I would without exaggeration see 30-50 deer a morning, now I see a few. I'm sure the new regulations from a few years ago made a dent in the population. And I'm pretty sure plenty are being poached. But I see an awful lot of coyotes in these areas where I didn't see them before. Same with turkeys. Seeing a lot of coyotes, but not seeing or even hearing birds anymore.

Too bad we never see any good recipes for coyotes!

Don't disagree about coyotes. Was at Saybrook Point restaurant in Old Saybrook about a month ago, not a block from the restaurant saw two yotes on the side of the road, not real concerned about me until I stopped and backed up to put my headlights on them. And yes, I think it was the legislature that halted any DEEP plans to open a season for bear. So they'll need a few more home invasions, maybe a mauling or death or two to allow a limited hunt to manage the bear population. 

Have had problems with them in the past, and the trend continues this year 

Seems me that they've showed up earlier this year than the past few and I'm definitely seeing them with more frequency this year  ( seem to be saying that every year) 

Chased a young mother and two cubs off my beehives last night, fortunately caught them before they managed any real damage 

I think the state could issue maybe 100 permits a year on a lottery basis, at $500 apiece. Raise 50,000 for DEEP enforcement purposes. The last year I heard stats mentioned, like 2018, there were more than 50 confirmed bear roadkills in the state. I suspect the anti-hunter, PITA, they were here first, etc etc crowd is pressuring the legislators to prohibit a hunt. 

I’m near Kent in New Milford. We see bears all the time. I have to tie my garbage shut. They also HATE cayenne. 
you can make a spray for plants. One gallon water. One egg to help it stick. 1/4 cup cayenne. Cheap and it works for all mammals. Not for birds though. It will clog a spray bottle so I use a ketchup squirt bottle to apply. Do it when plants are dry. One bite and mammals don’t do it again. 
There are way too many bears. It will sadly take mailings or home invasions for connectiTAX to change any over their overly restrictive rules. It is the hardest state in the area to hunt and fish. 

Just got a email from DEEP with a cool little blurb on bears.  

Apparently, it's mating season.  And that may explain it. 

13 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Don't disagree about coyotes. Was at Saybrook Point restaurant in Old Saybrook about a month ago, not a block from the restaurant saw two yotes on the side of the road, not real concerned about me until I stopped and backed up to put my headlights on them. And yes, I think it was the legislature that halted any DEEP plans to open a season for bear. So they'll need a few more home invasions, maybe a mauling or death or two to allow a limited hunt to manage the bear population. 

Just like what happened in New Jersey.

I live on a suburban street in West Hartford. Last summer a huge bear casually walked through our yards scrounging. Bears have no predators. All cubs are likely to survive. Hunting isn't practical but sterilization is a possibility.

When we visited places with Redwoods and giant Sequoia in California we were constantly warned about black bear attacks. I asked a wildlife biologist about why are Western black bears a threat and Eastern black bears are not a threat. He replied Eastern bear populations are increasing. As soon as they over populate and the environment can't feed them they'll seek out other food sources: domesticated animals, pets, garbage cans, etc. 

Then he smiled and said, meanwhile when you hike around here the bears view you as a 180 pound sausage. 

On 7/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, PSegnatelli said:

Anyone else seeing alot more bears this year?

Had 5 different bears in my yard over the weekend. Another one today, may have been the one from Fri.   All young except one tagged one. 

But since Feb I think Ive seen over a dozen.   Give or take a couple.  

Opposite.  Rural NJ, saw sign of only one bear while hunting deer this year.  Same last year.  Thats odd, since for 2 decades I see sign (or bear) more times than not.  

However, closer to suburban NJ: 

One dead bear on 287 in Montville, which is par for the course.  

One "problem" bear in morris county park, which is about typical.

Woops.  CT forum.  Disregard this Jersey fool.

(seeing more BIG coyote, and starting to see signs of bobcat now too)

Carry on.