Jefffahfffah

Nice stargazer out of Asbury Park

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Buddy caught this thing when we were fluking  in Asbury Park on Friday. A little over 12". We'd never seen one in person but in all honesty, this was one of the best tasting fish I've eaten.

And nobody got stung or zapped! Big plus.

20210702_205411.jpg

I forget which part you are supposed to avoid touching?  The fins?  Or the electrical organ at the head?

I hear of more people catching these in the last four years.  The second or third I heard from Asbury area.

35 mins ago, BillHoo said:

I forget which part you are supposed to avoid touching?  The fins?  Or the electrical organ at the head?

I hear of more people catching these in the last four years.  The second or third I heard from Asbury area.

The dorsal spines are venomous and the face/head can shock you. Hopefully we get more of them, it was delicious 

3 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

The dorsal spines are venomous and the face/head can shock you. Hopefully we get more of them, it was delicious 

Never kept one.  How big a fillet did you get off each side?  I assume it was whatever meat you could get between the pectoral fins and tail.

1 hour ago, daves745t said:

Never kept one.  How big a fillet did you get off each side?  I assume it was whatever meat you could get between the pectoral fins and tail.

Yup, correct. They're pretty thick, that one fish would have been a reasonable serving for one person

On 7/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, Jefffahfffah said:

Buddy caught this thing when we were fluking  in Asbury Park on Friday. A little over 12". We'd never seen one in person but in all honesty, this was one of the best tasting fish I've eaten.

And nobody got stung or zapped! Big plus.

20210702_205411.jpg

I've caught many of these... never thought of keeping one for the table... hmm,,

They dig into the soft sand almost as fast as a mole crab (well maybe not that fast) I 1st saw them in manasquan 20 yrs ago.

13 mins ago, jetty eddy said:

They dig into the soft sand almost as fast as a mole crab (well maybe not that fast) I 1st saw them in manasquan 20 yrs ago.

He was still trying to dig when we had him sitting on the beach. Very determined haha

My buddy caught one in great bay like six heads ago. We had no clue what it was. Some guy in his boat pulled up and said it was a stargazer and that it could shock us lol. We kind of didn't believe him but didn't mess around with it. Only time I've ever seen one in person.

12 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

He was still trying to dig when we had him sitting on the beach. Very determined haha

Ive heard they are the best eating jersey fish