zak-striper

Vineyard hat trick

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm on vacation on the Vineyard this week. I was fishing up-island Monday morning from about 1:00 a.m. to sunrise. There was a nice light wind blowing directly into the beach.

20210705_022335.jpg.f04b45e032bdf7aea654225c085da1a3.jpg

About 2 hours into the incoming tide the bite turned on. I was catching stripers that were progressively getting bigger when my needlefish got slammed. A 26" striper was the biggest one at this point. As I reeled in the fish I thought it would easily be a slot fish but hopefully not over. 

When I beached it I discovered I hooked a tank of a blue fish at 31", and guesstimated at about 12lbs.

20210705_022929.jpg.0d5b9920cc3ed15be79e308a02afae62.jpg

That was the big fish of the night. A blurple needlefish was the hot lure on the cloudy, dark night.

As sunrise approached birds started to show up and there was a lot of fish activity in the water. However they weren't stripers.  I put in a 5/8 oz silver Hogy epoxy then proceeded to catch shad like crazy. They were fun to catch. I was getting multiple hits on every cast. The shad were also putting on great aerial shows as they tried to throw my hook. They were mostly about 12"-14" big.

20210705_054246.jpg.99a00ae219b3a87f49a352ac9f1bd27a.jpg

Unfortunately I was traveling lightly that night. I didn't have any bait hooks so I could use a small shad as bait to see if any big fish were on them. I also left the box with my sebile magic swimmers in the car.

Edited by zak-striper

10 mins ago, bdowning said:

Now if you can only get an early bone. :)

I have seen reports of early bonito in New England waters.