SeaDog98

Building a rod for Virginia party boat fishing

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am new here and decided to make an account after spending hours reading through all the information you all post up. 

I am moving to Virginia at the end of the month and recently took up rod building as a hobby. I’ve read that there are some great party boats along the east coast and want to build a rod suitable for the type of fishing done on these. It seems it is mainly Black Sea bass, fluke, tog, etc. and all the tackle I have now is heavier geared towards florida snapper and grouper. 

I have found a few blanks that appear to be suitable and in the style I am looking for. 

Black Hole Challenger Banks 731M

Black Hole Cape Cod Special Slow Pitch 661HMF

I feel the 731M is a sure fire blank but I want to keep it as light as possible as based on my research I plan to match it with an avet sx sized reel. My main concern is the suitability of using a SPJ blank for bottom fishing with bait. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I tend to shy away from high end thin walled graphite blanks on a party boat. Party boat fishing usually means putting a lot of strain and abuse on the rod. I try to stick with fiberglass or composite blanks. Or even a solid fiberglass blank. It may just be a personal issue but flipping in fish on a $170 blank that took me 20 something hours to build isn't fun. The stress ruins the trip for me.

The Blackhole Challenger 731M is one of my "Go To" blanks for togging and deepwater sea bass and cod of Block Island, Rhode Island.  We fish anywhere from 60-175 feet with sinker weights up to 16 ounces. If you don't want to spend the bucks for the 731M I would recommend the Jigging World Black Demon 7.5M.

I have these matched with either an Avet SX 2-speed and a Daiwa Saltiga 14 star drag.  Both are sweet set-ups.

Posted (edited)

If I were you I would go to the party boat with a rod  that I already have that I think it would work first. I would like to have the most ideas of my future party boat rod before I plunge $$$ for a blank that I think it would work. I used to go to party for a couple years made several boat  rods until I found the perfect blank. The first attemp was overkill / second attempt it was a set of bad guides...Good luck on your build.

Edited by paxriver

I would like to suggest reaching out to Billy Vivona aka billy40, he can set you up with a RodGeeks blank or finished rod. I probably would have responded if he was not out fishing.

Thanks all for the tips. I’m mostly looking for something light and comfortable to fish all day but heavy duty enough to get the job done. I’ve talked some to the folks at black hole and they seem to think either blank would be fine. I’ll have to check out the rodgeeks stuff, first time I’ve heard of them.