Rod repair - Cape Cod

Rate this topic

chisler

One of my rods has the cork tape coming unbuttoned.  Any shops at the cape that can re wrap the tape on with short notice?    I got the tape wrapped on with some thread as a quick temp fix.  

I'm not sure about now, but in years past most tackle shops carried cork tape. If you can get it, just remove the old tape and wrap on the new tape, you can secure the ends with electrical tape or shrink wrap. Or just cover the existing tape with shrink wrap.

Red Top used to do repairs, don't know about now.

FWIW, some golf clubs handles are wrapped with the same tape, maybe a shop that repairs golf clubs could/would be able to fix it.

" I did my worst, but I did it well "

On 7/6/2021 at 5:00 PM, chisler said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

@theshadow I can meet up with you anytime Friday or thereafter if that can work?  I'll be in Wellfleet Thursday AM.

Once the shadow gives you a little help, perhaps he might also help you increase the diameter of the handle if you have a large hand and it does not close tight enough with out straining it while casting. Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Once the shadow gives you a little help, perhaps he might also help you increase the diameter of the handle if you have a large hand and it does not close tight enough with out straining it while casting. Peace and Prayers

I've never given much thought to grip diameter.  Bob is going to retape the rod as it was originally.  I liked the grip.  However, the 9-6 Airwave elite I'm now using has a smaller diameter butt section and that may be the reason why i prefer the feel if my older rod.  I will give this some thought this winter when  buying an additional rod.

4 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Doubling the tape is pretty easy and works well.Especially at the butt for the lower hand.Another option to use is cork rings at the butt.Then they are turned down to a football type shape to fit the hand.Leaving most of the blank between just below the reelseat to the butt uncovered.Some casters place the rod between their legs upon retrieval.That way the rod doesn't rub on waders or legs.Shrink wrap is a good way to go too and the newer is much better than the old stuff from years ago.Alot of us old farts still are stuck in the old ways.:laugh:

3 hours ago, capesams said:

sum of us old farts wax the cork to keep the sun,slime,sand,saltwater from drying it out...butches wax worked great...and no it didn't make it slickery.

Yep! one old fart to another."Slickery"......I like it:laugh:.