night owl

Removing blood stains from clothes

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anybody got a good recipe for getting blood stains out of clothes?  Any magic tricks out there?

I could never understand why that stuff stains so much. But it just does. The best bet is washing it off asap. But sometimes that doesn't happen then you've got a problem. :(

Edited by night owl

57 mins ago, Santiago II said:

peroxide

I wear light-colored Columbia Silver Ridge when I fish and this is what I use to get rid of the blood.  It instantly removes blood stains.  May need to brush with an old toothbrush to get it of the stain that was on it for while though.

I agree with the recommendations w/ cold water. An MD told to rub salt on the stain (after its wet with cold water).  He said the salt makes the red blood cells break apart. I do this, but I can't tell if it's the cold water or the salt that does most of the work. Once this process in done, oxy clean if needed. 

By the time I get of the water and back home, its usually too late. Peroxide helps but the stain never goes away. 

I may be in the minority here but I don't really care about blood stains. Im not out there showing off my clothes.

Cold water better than hot water for cleaning blood? That's new to me. And I never tried salt before. It's worth a try. Some of the other mentioned products I don't have here. Sometimes weird & simple things work. Good old home remedies!

4 mins ago, Batman67 said:

Spray and wash. 

Yes.  Soak it well, work it into the stain, then soak in cold water, work on it a bit more, et.

While it sounds good when my wife tells me how to do it--and workis when I listen--I generally walk around looking like an axe murderer every time I put on a shirt that was previously worn on a tuna trip.

6 mins ago, night owl said:

Cold water better than hot water for cleaning blood? That's new to me. And I never tried salt before. It's worth a try. Some of the other mentioned products I don't have here. Sometimes weird & simple things work. Good old home remedies!

Yes.  Hot water sets the stain.

I have fishing clothes, stained with blood, sun block and sometimes grease. My wife threw them away and I explained now I'll have new fishing clothes after the next trip. Now she leaves them alone.