PeteA

Carmens River - Long Island

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

As saltwater surf casting has been a little spotty of late I’m think of switching my attention to fresh water fly for a bit. I’m new to Long Island and have read about the Carmens River. Any one have any experience fishing there? Type of water, wide, narrow, calm, deep, riffles, hatches this time of year. I’m targeting the Carmens because I prefer moving around the stream a bit, VS being combined to a beat w/ a time limit. Any intel would be greatly appreciated boys. 

I'm from Patchogue, if you're a serious trout fisherman, you are going to be severely disappointed by Carmens River.  It's kinda like a little ditch that meanders through some sandy "forest".  At least that's the way I remember it.  Best thing to do is just go check it out.

4 hours ago, Oakman said:

I'm from Patchogue, if you're a serious trout fisherman, you are going to be severely disappointed by Carmens River.  It's kinda like a little ditch that meanders through some sandy "forest".  At least that's the way I remember it.  Best thing to do is just go check it out.

Any other suggestions? I used to live in Westchester. 20 min from the croton watershed. Really nice tail water close to home. I’m spoiled! 

11 mins ago, PeteA said:

Any other suggestions? I used to live in Westchester. 20 min from the croton watershed. Really nice tail water close to home. I’m spoiled! 

Ha!  I moved from Brooklyn to Peekskill last year before the shutdown. Sorry, I never fished anything but salt on LI. But shoot me a pm, I have no idea what I have around here and would love some guidance. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I grew up fishing the Carmins a long time ago. It is a rich spring creek with a long history and well educated trout in the catch and release section. The Nissequogue is another fine choice.

(link removed - Gilbey)

Edited by Gilbey

Carmans River is a pretty little stream, with a self-sustaining popuilation of brook trout (I want to call them "native," as the river once supported a very good native trout fishery, but the heritage strain may well have been diluted by hatchery fish when the river was in private hands).  Farther downstream, there are a lot of stocked rainbows and a few browns; the stockies usually don't go higher than the weir below parking spot 10.

The river is a classic Long Island spring creek, which means that it is shallow, sandy-bottomed, weedy, and cool, with thickly overgrown banks and heavy emergent vegetation.  It also hosts real hatches of bugs (if you can get a copy of the book "Fishing Long Island Spring Creeks" that the Long Island chapter of Trout Unlimited puts out, it provides a good idea of what it's like.

The fish aren't hugel the stockies are the usual up to 10 or 12-inch fish, the brook trout are, for the most part, half that size, but with the beauty of stream-spawned fish.

Tricky casting because of overhanging brush and tight lies in and around the banks.  

I haven't fished it for a while--meant to this spring but never got there--but there are a few anglers who are dedicated to the river, and it the home waters of the Art Flick TU chapter.

If you go, try foam ants and beetles in #14 and #16, tan and black caddis in the same sizes, and scuds.  Never ran into a Trico hatch, but they are supposedly present,.  Carry some small blue-winged olives.  Dries tend to work better than wets just because of the weed and the shallows, but the same weeds are good for scuds, so they are worthwhile.  And, of course, anything else you might want to try.

At worst, you'll enjoy a pretty river, and maybe get a look at some of the sika deer that wander along its path.  Remember to get a county fishing permit--either day or  season--before heading out.

Edited by CWitek

I love that river. I usually bring a 6’6” 3wt or a tenkara set up. 

If you enjoy seeing fish in crystal clear water and casting to them, only to have them refuse you for hours till ya finally hook up go check it out. You may find yourself with wild brookies on the line while deer sip from the creek below you and humming birds buzz around over head. Gets annoying when you get like 10 kayaks through the middle of your pool. Fish really don’t seem to mind though. You can get decent browns and bows from the concrete dam. The brookies you’ll have to figure out. A spring creek is a special thing. I fish the Croton watershed a lot, and while some streams are pretty great, its a whole different ball game. 

If you wanna catch some huge stockers pay the $15 at the Connie and you’ll definitely get some fish on just about anything you throw at them. 

Edited by chuckbucktail

Wow!  I’m glad I remember it wrong. Maybe it’s different where it meets South Country Road. . .

Happy to hear it has some fans. 

25 mins ago, Oakman said:

Wow!  I’m glad I remember it wrong. Maybe it’s different where it meets South Country Road. . .

Happy to hear it has some fans. 

Haha, I mean, you’re right if by ditch you mean you can jump across it in places. Its a pretty ditch though. 

I personally just love small stream fishing. 

I go anytime I visit the wife’s family in Babylon. 

If I lived out there, I’d try to to figure out the salter situation. Never caught any searun trout before. 

22 hours ago, chuckbucktail said:

Haha, I mean, you’re right if by ditch you mean you can jump across it in places. Its a pretty ditch though. 

I personally just love small stream fishing. 

I go anytime I visit the wife’s family in Babylon. 

If I lived out there, I’d try to to figure out the salter situation. Never caught any searun trout before. 

Might not be any real salters since the river was dammed.

The DEC has constructed a fish ladder below Hard's Lake, and has pit tagged a number of different species of fish both above and below the dam to see how they travel.  River herring have registered on sensors fairly high up the river, as have eels.  But no brook trout tagged in the river have been recorded transiting the fish ladder toward the bay (this was true a couple of years ago, when I attended a lecture on the topic; it may have changed since).

On the other hand, I have heard rumors, from a good source, that there are brook trout in a small creek that empties the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge.

From my understanding--and I could be wrong--the trout being caught in the tidal section are stockies, not salters.

14 hours ago, CWitek said:

Might not be any real salters since the river was dammed.

The DEC has constructed a fish ladder below Hard's Lake, and has pit tagged a number of different species of fish both above and below the dam to see how they travel.  River herring have registered on sensors fairly high up the river, as have eels.  But no brook trout tagged in the river have been recorded transiting the fish ladder toward the bay (this was true a couple of years ago, when I attended a lecture on the topic; it may have changed since).

On the other hand, I have heard rumors, from a good source, that there are brook trout in a small creek that empties the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge.

From my understanding--and I could be wrong--the trout being caught in the tidal section are stockies, not salters.

Well that’s too bad!

I’ve been fascinated by the opportunity to get some sea run trout on LI since I read about their existence a while back.

Guess I’ll dog ear that one for now.

Although its a bummer, thanks for enlightening me :-)

The Carmans is a favorite of mine, but honestly, I don’t like to fish it in the summer.  The weeds take most of the fun out of fly fishing.  Also, it’s not kind to strangers.  You have to put your time in.

Hey Boys, thanks for all the great intel. Sounds like I need to get some boots on the ground and get out and take a look. Could be my new home waters for trout. 

tight lines boys.