Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 4- July 11

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Happy 4th of July!

Let hope lots of fireworks light up the shore with some good landings.

Block Island fished OK this morning under cloudy, and cool weather.

We had a good bite of schoolies early in the morning at the southern end.

All stripers, not one bluefish.

Ran out to the island this morning looking for fluke. Caught a pile of 18 inchers and left with a porgy. Long ride home in crappy weather with a small boat for one porgy.  I might as well sell my gear and just buy fish with the luck I've been having this year....

19 hours ago, Kima said:

Ran out to the island this morning looking for fluke. Caught a pile of 18 inchers and left with a porgy. Long ride home in crappy weather with a small boat for one porgy.  I might as well sell my gear and just buy fish with the luck I've been having this year....

Fluke was freaking slow / suck. I was in MA. Caught an 20"er then a 17" weakfish. That was all for the morning. No keeper seabass.

Cloud cover might have something with it.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Fluke was freaking slow / suck. I was in MA. Caught an 20"er then a 17" weakfish. That was all for the morning. No keeper seabass.

Cloud cover might have something with it.

Managed 2 keepers in 50 feet of water today, plus a 2 man limit of sea bass. That's way better than an hour ride for a porgy.

Finally something positive to report, had a good bite for a little over an hour before the fish moved on. Silversides or some other small bait moved in and slightly larger bait feeding on them (either small scup or baby blues), with bass on the outside edge. Had 6-7 fish 26-30", a few 20-26", and missed and dropped a bunch more. Fish were super aggressive, sadly its July and this is one of the better bites i have had all year. Constant lightening in the back ground had me constantly looking over shoulder and taking quick breaks to check radar.  Only saw 1 other guy fishing.  Hopefully they stick around and settle in till time to head south in the fall.

Got out on Tuesday on a friends 20' boat. Headed out of point Judith around 0430 headed for block but got beat up in 3-5 ft short period chop for about 20 minutes before turning around and headed into the bay a little. Trolled up the coast and marked some fish but only pulled a few blues. Moved east to a reef and trolled there for another 2 hours but didn't mark a single fish. Worked our way back along the coast to the harbor and worked both walls but there wasnt any sign of life. Once the sun came out the chop didnt seem that bad especially after not putting a single bass in the boat all day. Oh well.

Nothing for me last night. There doesn't seem to be the amount of bait around that there usually is in the places I normally fish. Hopefully it will start filling in.

2 mins ago, JimKu said:

Nothing for me last night. There doesn't seem to be the amount of bait around that there usually is in the places I normally fish. Hopefully it will start filling in.

The spot i fished last pm has had a huge lack of bait for over a month now.  Last pm it had filled in big time, was back to what i would have expected it to be weeks ago. Was nice to see, hopefully this is a trend across the board.

Tuna are still in close.. more whales and dolphin than I’ve seen, anywhere! Not far offshore our coast is alive! Hopefully this tropical storm doesn’t  mess everything up!

50700F90-1251-4FDA-8F3F-1C2EE2A76B49.png

C11E9AEB-76F8-47F8-9957-D2CA6433423C.png

I posted on here last year - saying that we are coming to RI from May-Oct - and not the Cape for May and June.  Don't ask why - please.

Anyway - I'm knocking myself out getting out in the morning at 4:00 to catch first light on the beaches and bays.

All this for 15" fish.  Today - 4 fish - the best was about 15".  I'm now fishing the surf with a 7wt - crazy!!

But my friends are catching big Bass off of BI or the Providence River in a boat. 

I guess one has to fish by boat in RI.

What happened to your inshore fishery

Oh how I miss Race Point.

Herb

No shortage of bass at the spot I been pounding all year. No skunk guaranteed. For those braving the Newport swells from shore (my buddy) fishing has been lights out the last two night up to mid-20lbs

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

No shortage of bass at the spot I been pounding all year. No skunk guaranteed. For those braving the Newport swells from shore (my buddy) fishing has been lights out the last two night up to mid-20lbs

Thanks Locked - but at 83 - I don't do rocks or swells/high surf.

I'll leave that to you guys.

Oh - and I'm a fly guy - only.

Herb

Edited by HL