stifftip

buck a pound

Rate this topic

182 posts in this topic

ya thats what a friend got at the auction for his bass catch . i'm not interested in killing bass for that price. i will keep fishing probably c/r but its a insult  to sell striped bass for a buck a pound...but .why  did the bass just show up by the millions everywhere and the comm.guys flood the fish market ?  what is going on with the price  ? is it a scam  ... but    25.00 per pound at the fish market . its a good reason to stop selling fish  

2 hours ago, stifftip said:

ya thats what a friend got at the auction for his bass catch . i'm not interested in killing bass for that price. i will keep fishing probably c/r but its a insult  to sell striped bass for a buck a pound...but .why  did the bass just show up by the millions everywhere and the comm.guys flood the fish market ?  what is going on with the price  ? is it a scam  ... but    25.00 per pound at the fish market . its a good reason to stop selling fish  

I wouldn’t kill a bass for $5/lb and that is a commercial fishing norm 

Only tourists or locals trying to impress tourists are gonna pay $25.99/lb for Striped Bass … especially when they could pay much less for cod/haddock.

2 hours ago, JohnQ said:

Commercial guy I know said he's been getting 5 dollars a lb. in Sandwich.25.99 a lb. Retail in Mashpee.

...That was last Monday and the week before.....down each day since then; typical for a holiday period.,..dealers get more fish in, more demand on the holiday, dealers will then collude on  price to set up a larger profit amongst themselves...make up for lost "pandemic" losses and screw the fishermen...been happening since beginning of time

Dealers should be eliminated if they are able to collude like that, fisherman should either be able to sell retail or sell to retail or hire agents to sell their catch who get a percentage of the profit, eliminating the bs

Let’s just kill them all and get it over with. We can then move onto something else. We’re just fooling ourselves if we think this isn’t the demise of the fishery.

When the price drops to  $1 a pound a comm fisherman suddenly  becomes a  c&R advocate.  But it the price was $7 a pound,  he's a proud card carrying comm fisherman.