stateguy

Fat Tire E Bike

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, Pause Game said:

My fear for entry that im going to invest in one of these $1800 bikes, and then they are going to be banned. It was only last year that they were allowed onto BLM.

Have any states flat out banned e bikes, or are there known speed/hp restrictions?

Uncle Joe love these green earth stuff. It's electric assist bike. emphasized on assist.  Not scooter or motorcycle.

What ever you get make sure its a step through they are a lot easier to get on and off . Cargo styles can be outfitted with a lot more accessories too .  

I love my X3 Pro

Folding frame allows for easy storage, battery pack is hidden in the down tube and the adustable air suspension soaks up all the bumps with ease

I ride every morning

20201127-104034-Copy.jpg

20210606-124932.jpg

20210313-163525.jpg

20210321-131955.jpg

20210321-145237.jpg

What I'm surprised that nobody is talking about is the battery life expectancy. Even the higher end bikes that I looked at had a battery life expectancy that spooked me. The batteries can only be charged so many times (with dwindling capacities as they are recharged) and the batteries are only good for a few years. Customer service told me around 3 years life expectancy if I remember correctly. Then a replacement battery was around $800. And what if the company disappears or the batteries are no longer made? Then what? You'll end up a useless 70lb bike that you wouldn't ever want to peddle around. $4000 down the drain. 

Posted (edited)

Here you go.... I went through my emails and found the conversation between me and customer service. This is what they said about battery life expectancy. 

I ain't spending thousands of dollars on a bike that is only good for a few years!

Screenshot_20210803-014224-291.png

Edited by night owl

Pedal assist 3& gear 5 your battery should last for a while.but if you use throttle only you will eat up the battery quickly. It doesn’t hurt to get a little exercise your body will thank you for it.

This is a great thread for my purposes.  I’ve been thinking about e-bikes for fishing for a year or so, after seeing them on and near a couple of beaches.

I really like the idea of having something to extend your range on the beach and bring along some extra gear.

The brand staying power and battery life items are concerns.

I heard of a guy who recently toasted his beautifully customized motor home because of battery failure. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if thing was cooking in my garage.

I recently got a used radmini for around $700 (half of retail) and it drives much better on sand than I was led to believe. I spray it down with a hose, then wd40 after every use and its been holding up.

Purchased a used manual pedal fat tire beach bike a few weeks ago. Rigged it up with a basket and 2 rod holders. I'm fairly in shape and will enjoy the extra exercise, gonna see how it holds up riding on the sand and getting some new beach access. Feel like the market is still a bit shakey and technology/weight is limiting life span of these batteries makes me very hesitant. Best example I can think of in regards to those who are concerned with laws/regulations is basically everyone shark fishing on Long Island now with these expensive drones dropping bait a mile out and dragging these fish into the shallows, new laws will come in place soon I'm sure of it since it's such a new thing. I'm $150 in with bike/accessories and interested to see how the pedal bike treats me this season before I throw around the idea of an E-bike around. 

I have a specialized fat boy with 4.6” tires I have been riding the beach for 5 years and no problems at all just air the tires down to 5lbs. It beats walking for miles . I have been surfcasting for 43 years & always enjoyed walking but getting older weak knees hip problems the bike is a god send.again you get an awesome workout & your body will thank you for it. You can also park at Robert Moses 5 & ride to fire island . Visit the inn at kismet just don’t stay to long because you wind up stumbling back instead of riding back.lol good luck with your choice of bike electric or manual you enjoy the benefits.

Some things to keep in mind...

1. Pedal assist(Class 1 and 3) will have much better battery life than a throttled (Class 2) bike.

2. Look for a mid drive motor, not a hub motor. Mid drives provide better torque, better balance(weight of the motor in the rear wheel + Fishing gear on the rear will make it a slug, especially in soft sand), and are more durable. 

3. Get a reputable electronics brand(Motor/Battery)- Shimano, Bosch, Brose. The first 2 will provide updates every 6 months or so- extending battery life, creating new efficiencies, adding options to the screen/controller. Brose makes the motors for your windshield wipers, side windows, and the seats for your car. They have a separate bike division that's now run by Specialized bikes. All 3 are worry free charging. They wont catch fire. Bosch is the only e-bike motor/electronics manufacturer that is completely UL certified. It's the chinese/Amazon ebikes that are catching fire bc the charger doesnt turn off when the battery reaches capacity.

4. No bike is going to survive the beach without getting rinsed and lubed (chain and cassette at the least) immediately after leaving the beach. Make sure to clean the contacts on the battery and harness as well.