Fishing & Hunting

South East Florida blanks for custom rods

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am familiar with New England blanks for custom rods but South East Florida seems to have their own favorites. Looking for 7 1/2 foot to 8 foot blank rated 1/2 oz to 2 1/2 oz. Expensive high end blanks ok. Any suggestions?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I asked my son what blanks were his custom built rods. Most of the blanks were made out of state(sold by Juno bait and tackle). He did have a blackfin (Stuart). He also suggested Crowder.

Edited by SnookerFla

58 mins ago, SnookerFla said:

I asked my son what blanks were his custom built rods. Most of the blanks were made out of state(sold by Juno bait and tackle). He did have a blackfin (Stuart). He also suggested Crowder.

Thanks SnookerFla. I did stop in Juno bait and tackle once. Nice store. When I asked what blanks he used, Blackfin and Crowder sounds familiar. I just looked on line and Crowder’s Inshore E Series light spinning looks interesting for me. Tell your son I said thanks!

Josh Jorgensen, aka Blacktiph on social and YouTube, uses Blackfin blanks on all of the Blacktiph branded rods. I visited the factory with him a while back and got to see the "back room" with the layout tables, mandrels, ovens and trying racks. As a reformed engineer, I found it very cool, especially when the rod designer and I were discussing a custom two-piece inshore rod I wanted to build. Never ordered it after realizing I was only going to dupe what I had already. 

So everything is made local but I don't know anything about their product line so cannot recommend a specific model however. Are there any blanks that are inshore SE FL specific? I doubt it since your requirements appear to be universal to me. 

If I can be so bold, can I suggest checking out the Century Weapon line, both the regular, Jr. and Jr. Magnum series? Quite a bit of technology in those blanks. I know completed rods are available from a variety of sources and SOLer AFMike is a US distributor. I believe there are blanks available as well. But pricey....

4 hours ago, flyangler said:

Are there any blanks that are inshore SE FL specific? I doubt it since your requirements appear to be universal to me. 

If I can be so bold, can I suggest checking out the Century Weapon line, both the regular, Jr. and Jr. Magnum series? Quite a bit of technology in those blanks. I know completed rods are available from a variety of sources and SOLer AFMike is a US distributor. I believe there are blanks available as well. But pricey....

Different parts of the country gravitate to different blanks. Lamiglas surf blanks in the Northeast for example. I was just curious what the local rod builders down here use.

I am very interested in the Century Weapon line but heard they are sometimes hard to come by. I don't know any rod builders down here in Southeast Florida that cary them. Black Pelican from PA builds them and could ship one to me. They are expensive, which is ok but I would actually like to see one in real life before pulling the trigger. I think I would like the 7'10" Regular Weapon. Very versatile!

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

It all depends on your application. While brands catch popularity in certain regions, there are usually many blanks that are well suited. In reality most guys don't research enough or know enough about rod action and construction to know the difference of why a certain blank gives them advantages. Definitely wouldn't follow what Josh of BlacktipH uses or any other popular recommendations, until you see and feel it for yourself. The blind leading the blind is even more popular than Youtubers in Florida.

That being said, all my custom rods are built for a specific application then crossover to other things. Spent months on some researching and feeling rods, getting builder recommendations from different regions, and then finding what was perfectly suited for what I need. Black Hole, Phenix, Fiberstar, Liberty, Point Blank, and Batson Rainshadow are the builds I currently have in process or just got done, which none of are particular the East Central and South East Florida that I fish besides the Liberty I consulted on. In your range you have sooo many options from Century, Phenix, St. Croix, Point Blank, Batson, Black Hole, NFC, and many others that I wouldn't limit yourself. 

31 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Spent months on some researching and feeling rods, getting builder recommendations from different regions, and then finding what was perfectly suited for what I need. Black Hole, Phenix, Fiberstar, Liberty, Point Blank, and Batson Rainshadow are the builds I currently have in process or just got done,  In your range you have sooo many options from Century, Phenix, St. Croix, Point Blank, Batson, Black Hole, NFC, and many others that I wouldn't limit yourself. 

I see you mentioned you have a Fiberstar. I have a Fibrerstar Preditor 1087. Excellent rod! I use it for open beach surf casting. It's too bad Fiberstar is not in business anymore. 

For the range I'm looking for now I'm going to check the options you mentioned. Right now I'm leaning toward Century.

thanks!

2 mins ago, Fishing & Hunting said:

I see you mentioned you have a Fiberstar. I have a Fibrerstar Preditor 1087. Excellent rod! I use it for open beach surf casting. It's too bad Fiberstar is not in business anymore. 

For the range I'm looking for now I'm going to check the options you mentioned. Right now I'm leaning toward Century.

thanks!

We teamed up to split $$$$ shipping and ordered blanks from FSC recently within the last month, because he still had some laying around. Got the 1087x Raptor since I broke mine years ago but have the Predator been using ever since. Have a 1028 and used a 1088 alot. Great multi purpose rods.

Haven't had the chance to feel a weapon yet. Thing you will find in Florida is that it is hard to get your hands on blanks. Everyone uses MHX and Rainshadow and 99% of builders won't have stuff I mentioned. If you have access to Icast go, visit Get Bit and Mudhole if you get in the area and be a pita to let you see a bunch of inventory if they have it, or make online friends that will let you check stuff out they built. Why I was saying my build process usually takes months because it takes time to resource your build options. 

21 mins ago, dennysnook said:

We teamed up to split $$$$ shipping and ordered blanks from FSC recently within the last month, because he still had some laying around. Got the 1087x Raptor since I broke mine years ago but have the Predator been using ever since. Have a 1028 and used a 1088 alot. Great multi purpose rods.

Haven't had the chance to feel a weapon yet. Thing you will find in Florida is that it is hard to get your hands on blanks. Everyone uses MHX and Rainshadow and 99% of builders won't have stuff I mentioned. If you have access to Icast go, visit Get Bit and Mudhole if you get in the area and be a pita to let you see a bunch of inventory if they have it, or make online friends that will let you check stuff out they built. Why I was saying my build process usually takes months because it takes time to resource your build options. 

look like you did lot work on reaserch rods.i would like to read that.

what rods you have,what lures you use with them,casting distance=longest cast counting the reel handle turn,weight and price.

thanks snag

F&H first off I am no Florida fishing expert living here only a few months but I own and use a 7’10” Century Weapon JR Mag and cannot imagine a situation in Florida where I would feel all unable to fish because of the rod. Goliath grouper or bluewater yeah there are more suitable rods but our normal Florida menu of fish normally sought like Reds, Seatrout, tarpon, and snook the rod would get the job done with even a user with slightly below average casting and fish fighting skills. 

I bought it last fall from a NC dealer ( who sells both blanks and built rods) for light plugging the surf in the mid Atlantic and have rarely used any other of my 50 plus rods since up there or any other locations where I could take a 8’ rod tube with me. Last I heard Century and that NC dealer we’re going to have 2pc versions of this and other weapon jr mags available this year. I just have not checked further into these  as now living in Florida and fish all around me all year long I see no reason to leave fish to find fish… not so far at least. ;) 

FYI I finally paired it up with a IRT 200 and 20lb braid with flouro leaders of various poundage and fish only artificial’s 2oz down to 1/2oz without issues

Edited by Jim DE

Jim DE nice to hear you're enjoying Florida. Sounds like a great rod. I am leaning towards the Regular 7'10" Weapon because it has a more moderate action then the JR Mag. I use artificials only too, 2 1/2 oz and down. Most of my fishing is done walking the ocean beaches but I do hit the Intercostal back bays, sea walls, bridges, Inlets and piers, usually on the same outing. I want to ideally take only one versatile rod with me. 

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated!

Edited by Fishing & Hunting