Catskill John

What’s with the plovers?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Noticed that the beach was open to state line as stated in July’s fishing report...... WHY

Usually it’s about 4 weeks from now till they fly, so what happened this year? Washout, predation, change in behavior, change of procedure?

Many might know why but haven’t posted here about it like in times past. And that’s sad!

I can't find any info other than the osv being open.
Something happened/this is extremely unusual.
Hope we find out soon.If nests,eggs,chicks were wiped out early on in the Plover's reproductive efforts,they may start all over again.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Heat wave must have cooked the eggs or predatory animals must have put an end to it. I was reading NPS article and Raven was the culprit at least for the Pacific Coast. Sad but that's circle of life. I learn to love those cute birds. How often do you see Blue Jay on the beach?

20210520_120141-01.jpeg

Edited by surffish
Someone does not like blue birds calling.

Blue Jays = small pretty crows!

doubt if that was the problem, but ya never know. 

If anyone talks to a ranger, ask about the plovers and let us know what’s going on......  Please

Edited by Catskill John

Maybe AI NPS has determined that 145 vehicles on less than 12 miles of open osv is illegal.
From the AINS OSV founding documents="No more than 12 vehicles per mile at any time on the Md. and Va, sides"
Just a guess.AI NPS has been ignoring this for years.

Much like everything else in this world we have plenty of good laws all written for good reason...we even have rangers police fbi and homeland to enforce them....yet even the basic of rules get ignored 

F8AFFBA1-41E6-4A47-B177-B78887388A70.jpeg

Tried to pull info from gate attendant, not going to repeat what I was told because based off her answer none of it made sense. From what I understand, 4 hatched in early June, none survived. I only assume the partial closure is still in place due to the possibility of them nesting again. (Let's hope not). There is also a turtle nest in place around 27 or 28, been up since mid June, based on 60 day average hatch time, let's hope it'll be open by mid to end of August.

That is a shame.  I love my beach access, but I love critters too.    I really thought the back road was the way "around" it.  It seems to me that the issue is that they can no longer survive in the current ecosystem and closures were only a very poor band-aid.

Edited by Steve Coleman

If I had to guess one of the costal storms we had back in June did alot of damage along the eastern seaboard, particularly flooding.

A few days after post started showing up on Facebook with pictures of hundreds of bird eggs washed all over the beaches in Delaware.  Most of the eggs were plover eggs.  A few days later NJ started opening up some of their beaches saying the storm had wiped out most of the nest.  I just assumed AI opened it to the state line for the same reason.

I dont remember where, but some place in a thread here I asked if anyone else had seen any of this.  It may have even been a post about AI being opened to the state line early.

On 7/9/2021 at 7:12 PM, dave sharkman said:

Tried to pull info from gate attendant, not going to repeat what I was told because based off her answer none of it made sense. From what I understand, 4 hatched in early June, none survived. I only assume the partial closure is still in place due to the possibility of them nesting again. (Let's hope not). There is also a turtle nest in place around 27 or 28, been up since mid June, based on 60 day average hatch time, let's hope it'll be open by mid to end of August.

Dave

thats what I heard as well