Frank2104

Late Day versus Early Morning Surf fishing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I started into surf fishing this spring when I got my new truck. My son is bringing grandsons down from Maine in a couple weeks. The boys like to fish at home (ponds mostly)  and want to try surf fishing with "Pop". I live upstate so it needs to be an early start to be on the beach at sunrise. Not sure about getting them going that early. I've been thinking about trying some late day fishing on the beach. Maybe drive down after the "daytime surf fishers" clear out, have dinner on the beach and try for evening fishing. 

Comparing it to fishing at sunrise how does evening fishing look? Productive? 

I've been fishing DSSP and CHSP so far. I was thinking of trying 3Rs or Fenwick for the trip with the grandsons. 

I would really like to have them tie onto something. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!

When we (with 2 small kids) started surf fishing we fish during sunset when everyone on the beach are leaving. That's more productive for small fishes and even big ones if they are around. Like you, we started with walk in the beach and would drag what we need. If the wind is blowing from any direction that includes west don't go during summer months. It'll bring biting flies and mosquitoes. Insect repellant is a must. Vary your cast from short to long to find the whittings, sometimes they are very close and more often far at least that's my experience. Give the kids plastic shovels to hunt for sand fleas and use those for bait. Use fresh cut fillet bait on small hook 1/0 circle or smaller. If they want to hold the rods cast far and retrieve real slowly like a foot per minute. Keep doing it on other areas till you find em and stay. 

^^ This. If for some reason I can't  surf fish early, I hit the beach around sunset. Night fishing is a blast. If you spike the rod at night, just tape a small light stick to the underside of the top guide. Lets you know when you get a fish on. Tight lines.

Thanks to all. We took the gang down to 3Rs around mid afternoon and stayed until sunset. No bites. But it was mainly a chance for the cousins to hang out together. 

I'm going to be in Dewey for a week starting Saturday. I think I will definitely plan for one night fishing at least. I usually do one fish finder and one hi-lo rig. Is that still a good option or do artificial work better at night?

Your rigs are good to use. If using spinning reels, just remember to leave the drag a liitle loose. At night I would just soak bait. Spike rods, and relax. I tape a small glow stick to the top side of my rod tips. Better than bells. At night I use spinning tackle , easier than my conventional gear in the dark.

In another post I had asked about etiquette with headlights on the beach at night. Once you're parked and fishing how much "light discipline" is there? I've seen images that look like everyone is using hat lamps. What about something like a Coleman lantern around the truck?

No high beams on the beach!!!

Most who fish successfully at night do so in the dark, with head lamps mostly used in the red mode. You would be surprised how much you can see once your eyes are used to the dark. 

Walking around with head lamp on white light shining all over the place is rude, unless your alone on the beach. 

Any light you put yourself between it and the surf will cause shadow movement spooking the fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

^^ This is good advice. If I'm fishing at night, I get what ever bait I need at Old Inlet B & T. Then I hit the beach while there is light out or dusk. I set everything up, fish till dark, I rarley ever use my lights. When dark , then I set in for a good nights fishing. I use a small neck lamp if needed. But I have a Jeep, so when and if I open the lift gate, my interior light comes on wich is adjusted on low. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

There were/are some old timers that used Coleman lanterns on the beach successfully. They would place the light between their truck and the rods, never going on the ocean side of the light except to change bait or reel one in. 

I use light sticks, some just use clickers. Also have my interior lights off so it doesn’t light things up every time I open a door. 

Great info!!!!!   Reminded me of learning night vision techniques in basic. Learned a ton of good stuff from everyone on here!