Fishaholic Ivan

What's your favorite fly reel

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Those interested in Hardy reels might want to know that for their 150'th . There will be a limited run of fly reels like the Fly weights up to the Princess reels . $499.00 per reel .

8 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Those interested in Hardy reels might want to know that for their 150'th . There will be a limited run of fly reels like the Fly weights up to the Princess reels . $499.00 per reel .

Yah scratch the limited run part . These reels will be offered all the way through 2022 . So they gonna sell as many as they can. I'd use your own good judgment as what one wants . Me I wouldn't mind replacing my light weight I'll never see again. But I'll hold out for an older one like I had . 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, Pauleye said:

Billy Pate - old school reel and doubles as a self-defense weapon

lol. I have a Pate Marlin direct drive for tuna...15 oz. I think. But you don't exactly cast those all day.

Posted (edited)

On 7/5/2021 at 5:26 PM, Uncle Stu said:

For me, palming the reel is part of the joy of flyfishing... even when a 10-lb coho is busting your knuckles. If he draws blood from me, fair play because I'm hoping to draw blood from him. 

I couldn't agree more. Which is why, for most fishing, I'm about as unparticular as you can get when it comes to fly reels. I set drags light, and use the palming rim (If there is one) or fingers in the spool. I trust my hands when it comes to a running fish. My main *demand* is that the spool doesnt pop off lol. With the exception of specialized fishing...like my Pate Marlin for tuna. I generally place much more importance on rods.

If favorite reel means the one you've used the longest, mine would be a Heddon 310 or 320 (forget which it is). Bought in HS in the late 60's matched with a Fenwick glass rod. Those Heddons were die cast copies of the Hardy LRH and Princess. That outfit produced my first fly-caught trout, on the Wood River in RI. When I moved to Binghamton and started fishing the Delaware Tailwaters and Catskills in the early 80's, that was the first reel I used. And It's still the reel I use on one of the 2 outfits I carry when fishing there. It's mated to an 80's vintage 9' Cortland glass rod, which is very soft and protective of fine tippets . It's my midging rod. I guess I'd also have to call that Japanese knockoff of a Hardy the most durable reel I've ever had. Absolutely bulletproof. :laugh:

The 2nd outfit is a bit unusual too. A good friend was making a trip to England when the exchange rate was favorable, and I wanted a nice reel for steelhead, and he got me a Hardy Marquis #10. That now-deceased friend btw was Dave Pabst, an outstanding tier of classic Catskill dries. Taught by Elsie Darbee. He tied for them, as well as places like the Beaverkill Angler, which he was kinda sorta the manager of for a number of years. Anyway, I bought a graphite Powell Signature Series, in the late 80's I guess, a 9.5 for 4/5. I love that rod, and would weep if I ever break it. Turns out the Marquis balanced the long Powell perfectly. I reversed the twin pawls to lighten the drag. So that's my 2nd Delaware outfit.

My first SW reel was a Medalist 1498. Caught blues exceeding 15# on it. Used it for Lake Ontario salmon and steelhead too.

P.S. I am not a cheap grouchy old man. In fact, quite the opposite. Well, the grouchy part anyway. :howdy:

P.P.S. Yes, I really do have an appreciation for well-designed, finely-machined, and aesthetically-pleasing reels. But what I have works for me.

Edited by PatchyFog

Many, including me, have mentioned a Hardy reel as one of their favorites. So, here are the two outfits I'm presently using to fish for stripers in the Baie-des-Chaleurs (by the way, not a good season up here): two old 10' 10w rods that were built for me on Hardy blanks in the early 80's to fish for Atlantic salmon and that I've converted into 2H rods just by fixing solidly the fighting butt that I had made for each20210903_120503.jpg.ffd3273d9b081cb8549f26db820a20a1.jpg20210903_120322.jpg.4cf112b02b8a6d95a9dbd632276f59a1.jpg. One with a Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 reel and the other with an Orvis DXR 7/8. Love both but more so the Marquis.

Tibor Riptide.

My ex-wife gave it to me as a wedding present back in '97 (?) along with an extra spool.  The reel lasted a lot longer than the marriage.  Still have the reel, don't have her.  Have caught just a ton of bass with it over the years.  Never an issue.  Only complaint is that the name plate on the side of the reel says "Brian & Sonja".  Every time I use it I swear I am going to write to Tibor for a new name plate.  

8 mins ago, Bayviewrr said:

Tibor Riptide.

My ex-wife gave it to me as a wedding present back in '97 (?) along with an extra spool.  The reel lasted a lot longer than the marriage.  Still have the reel, don't have her.  Have caught just a ton of bass with it over the years.  Never an issue.  Only complaint is that the name plate on the side of the reel says "Brian & Sonja".  Every time I use it I swear I am going to write to Tibor for a new name plate.  

just turn it around; bolt holes will fit. If it were me I'd cut it in half and throw her side out.....

On 8/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, JettyLings said:

Fin-Nor FR 8

B6A90638-AD2B-40C7-9CD4-4EFD112A4E80.jpeg

83907CED-EC05-4D35-AF5A-476B10F27287.jpeg

I had, and sold the FR 8 and FR 10; They are great, amazing drags, and look like jewelry. Almost too nice to fish......

Your fly reel should be music to your ears. To me; I never liked the sound of Abel drags when a good striper was ripping line. But hey; I don't like Clapton or Steely dan either........ My old Orvis DXR 9/10 sounds great, and the third bass I got on it was a 42 lb fish on the flats up at eel point on Nantucket. They do run when you hook them in 2-3' of water on the flats......That one is a keeper. Bought it with a second spool (both w line) and an RPL II 9' 9 wt for $200 from a tackle shop kid out in Rocky Point LI. My Tibor Everglades sounds pretty good too when an albie or bonita is going nuts on it. I have an Orvis Battenkill II for my 5' 2 wt cabelas TQR (tight quarters rod) I bought for sea run brookies; great little reel, and rod. I also have a number of older Ross reels; Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, Rhythm 3.5, Evolution 2 (my fave of the Ross reels), all great reels with good looks and wonderful drags. My all time favorite though is my Medalist 1494 1/2 I bought with paper route money. Talk about a keeper. 

Edited by cbchurch

1 hour ago, cbchurch said:

Your fly reel should be music to your ears. To me; I never liked the sound of Abel drags when a good striper was ripping line. But hey; I don't like Clapton or Steely dan either........ My old Orvis DXR 9/10 sounds great, and the third bass I got on it was a 42 lb fish on the flats up at eel point on Nantucket. They do run when you hook them in 2-3' of water on the flats......That one is a keeper. Bought it with a second spool (both w line) and an RPL II 9' 9 wt for $200 from a tackle shop kid out in Rocky Point LI. My Tibor Everglades sounds pretty good too when an albie or bonita is going nuts on it. I have an Orvis Battenkill II for my 5' 2 wt cabelas TQR (tight quarters rod) I bought for sea run brookies; great little reel, and rod. I also have a number of older Ross reels; Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, Rhythm 3.5, Evolution 2 (my fave of the Ross reels), all great reels with good looks and wonderful drags. My all time favorite though is my Medalist 1494 1/2 I bought with paper route money. Talk about a keeper. 

I have mine on a 9wt glass rod. Hoping to get an albie on it soon.

dxr.jpg

And these DXRs (a 9/10 with spare spool and a 7/8), that I bought in the 90's (I think) to fish for salmon still see some duty fishing for stripers. Well made, easy to clean or reverse from right hand to left hand, and I like the drag adjustment lever that enables you to know exactly where you're at just by looking.20210908_145529.jpg.6f723e427eda9752f0c67b981f09793a.jpg20210908_145831.jpg.389771af88261a10932cf1f61d2dd58c.jpg

21 hours ago, Bayviewrr said:

Tibor Riptide.

I have an ex too...pm me I'll chip in for half the new name plate and we'll both sleep better at night!