Fishaholic Ivan

What's your favorite fly reel

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

My two #2 and #4 Lamsom Litespeeds are 25+ years old and going strong, Sage 3480 made by Waterworks is still at it close to that time, love my small Galvin click drag. Buddy of mine bought a bunch of the champagne colored G Loomis reels that he has used as long, multiple sizes. Another swears by the Pfleuger Trions, not the most finished looking reels, but they haul in the fish and last well.

Lots of different reels I love for different purposes but of my lineup...my favorite is my Riptide hands down. That thing will outlast me, that's for sure. My favorite freshwater reel, probably my old CFO III - so simple yet works perfectly.

I have 7 Abel supers, and a waterworks cobalt (impulse buy. I've never used it). Weight, reliability, fit and finish, are my criteria. In that order. I don't understand hanging a 12 oz reel from a 3.5oz rod, but to each their own. I've never witnessed a reel malfunction that wasn't the direct result of neglect.

I was about 9 years old. I licked about a thousand stamps and stuck them in the books. Was a little over a mile walk to the Green Stamp store. It’s still my favorite

4E66EE7B-1E43-4E72-8C80-18F57BABB44E.jpeg

Edited by Stewie
Spelling

On 8/22/2021 at 2:25 PM, Local66 said:

I have 7 Abel supers, and a waterworks cobalt (impulse buy. I've never used it). Weight, reliability, fit and finish, are my criteria. In that order. I don't understand hanging a 12 oz reel from a 3.5oz rod, but to each their own. I've never witnessed a reel malfunction that wasn't the direct result of neglect.

I agree on your last statement. I am certainly no stranger to fine high quality high dollar equipment but when it comes down to it even some of my cheapest spinning reels have never even failed me. Granted, I am pretty meticulous with my gear and always take care to clean and maintain what I have. I think even the some of cheapest of reels will last if at least some Kind of maintenance routine is followed, even if it’s just a fresh water rinse after use in the salt. With that said I’m sure I will own an Abel some day. :) 

2 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

I agree on your last statement. I am certainly no stranger to fine high quality high dollar equipment but when it comes down to it even some of my cheapest spinning reels have never even failed me. Granted, I am pretty meticulous with my gear and always take care to clean and maintain what I have. I think even the some of cheapest of reels will last if at least some Kind of maintenance routine is followed, even if it’s just a fresh water rinse after use in the salt. With that said I’m sure I will own an Abel some day. :) 

Keep in mind that I build my own gear and work for an Abel retailer. I have rep demos, program reels, second hand reels, and one lovely birthday present. I spend way more on travel than gear.