Fishaholic Ivan

What's your favorite fly reel

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

Ross Evolution Salt, granted its my first premium fly reel but it sure does sound pretty and handles the salt well. My only issue is that its near impossible to take the spool off if the spool cap got screwed in too tight.

Easy...All of my Mako reels. They literally put my Abel and Tibors to the back of the closet or as my airline check-in reels as I don't care if they get lost...

I don't count my Charltons as they have been put away as cherished collectibles in memory of great fish caught and my friendship with Jack. 

Edited by formula1

Never really owned or landed 100 lb tarpon on any high end machined from bar stock fly reels except for maybe a Lamson Guru, which I’m not sure if all its metal parts are machined but seems to be a good reel and may be a step up from the sub $100 CNC Chinese imports available online. One poster described it’s use as a beater reel on his boat. So my favorite reels are basically way low in the beater hierarchy and have barely survived with all parts intact due years of salt water use and horrific susceptibility to galvanic corrosion but a couple come to mind as favorites: Pflueger 1498 and Martin 71SS

My old CFO's from the early 80's along with Hardy LRH Lightweight and Marquis, also from the 80's. I enjoy them. They are a pleasure to fish with, but performance does not compare to my older Ross Evolutions and Evolution LT's.  I say older the older style ones prior to the redesign. They can keep them. I have a Galvan T-4 that is very nice too. 

17 hours ago, NJSal said:

Orvis Battenkill

I also have a fondness for these.  Especially the oldest large arbor versions.  Something about the sound they make with a good fish on.

22 mins ago, Killiefish said:

I also have a fondness for these.  Especially the oldest large arbor versions.  Something about the sound they make with a good fish on.

Love the three spokers! Definitely my favorite freshwater reels.