Fishaholic Ivan

What's your favorite fly reel

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

What's your choice ? Abel SDS,Tibor,Hatch,Loop,Nautilus,3 Tand,Seigler,VS...

What's your demand?Price,light,strong drag,sound,capacity, fast retrieve...Some pics will be nice to see your arsenal  ;)

I’ve always been a fan of the older Ross reels like the Gunnison, Canyon, Saltwater etc.

Not so much of a fan of their newer offerings.

SF

I have a Bit of a mix and Love them all... For me I buy based off 1. Application 2.Functionality 3.Price 4. Color (Hate to admit it but true)

Salt Water Reels for Tarpon, Bonefish, Striper - Abel 

Fresh Water for Mainly Trout - Nautilus & Hatch 

IMG_8244.JPG

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

A7473A9F-16E5-453D-B13C-06464FA39444.jpg

I have an Abel or two, two Tibor, waterworks-lamson, and just bought a nautilus.  I find the nautilus the nicest of the bunch. I think it has one of the nicest fit and finishes I’ve seen, and the drag is super smooth with no noticeable hesitation at the start.  The Nautilus ccf-x2 is my new favorite.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have had a Bauer M5 and Tibor Riptide for like 30 years now.  Newest addition is a Colton 810.  Love all three.

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Edited by 27conch
content

There are loads of reels I admire but they are all too heavy to fish.  

Any 8 weight reel that weighs more than 6-7oz makes no sense whatsoever to me.  

As far as my personal arsenal, Islander  and Tibor  fill all of my needs for salt water and have done so complaint free for over 30 yrs. With that being said if the future requires a new purchase I would look strongly at the Colton line of fly reels.

I was on a trip when my old Orvis Battenkill Disc 8/9 died. I needed a reel to continue to fish so I bought a Lamson Liquid 9+ at a local shop. I have been quite pleased with it and the incredible value it offers...

I love my 3-Tands. They’re durable, smooth and waterproof, which is necessary for the places and ways that I fish. The company is also great to do business with. Before them, my favorite was my Teton Tioga. I’ve had that for at least 25 years, and it’s always treated me well on stripers, bluefish, albies and more.

Picked up 4 Abel reels almost 30 years ago now. 2 for salt, 2 for streams. Lot’s of remote location fishing, and i never had one fail on me so i trust them. Never looked back. In the winter i had the salts serviced for the first time. Bang up job, $40 a piece. Hope i fish long enough to have them serviced again some day.

CFO III (the upside down CFO), but I've got a couple of 70's era 1494 1/2 Medalists that are smooth as silk and pure pleasure to fish.