Huntnfish1

Pinch tail to measure or not..striper?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So maybe this is a stupid question, but I was fishing last night and caught my biggest striper to date.  It taped just over 50" laying on the deck of my boat.  I took some pics and sent her back.  A buddy of mine says I measured it wrong and it is actually a little longer(I know not actually longer) because he says it should be measured with the tail pinched.  I know regs change and vary state to state, but just want to know what everyone thinks.  I'm not new to fishing, and usually don't actually care what any fish weighs, or length, etc, but this one was the 50" and 50+ pound fish I've been looking for for a while.  If your answer is pinch the tail, how much does this add(guess) to the overall length.  I know I can measure something in the next few days and get an idea but would love to hear opinions.

Thanks!  Happy fourth to all.

Edited by Huntnfish1

As you say, if it's for your records, it doesn't really matter. If it's for bragging rights or whatever, specify how you measure them. In Massachusetts, the regulation states the tail lobes "may" be pressed together to make a minimum length.

2 hours ago, Huntnfish1 said:

So maybe this is a stupid question, but I was fishing last night and caught my biggest striper to date.  It taped just over 50" laying on the deck of my boat.  I took some pics and sent her back.  A buddy of mine says I measured it wrong and it is actually a little longer(I know not actually longer) because he says it should be measured with the tail pinched.  I know regs change and vary state to state, but just want to know what everyone thinks.  I'm not new to fishing, and usually don't actually care what any fish weighs, or length, etc, but this one was the 50" and 50+ pound fish I've been looking for for a while.  If your answer is pinch the tail, how much does this add(guess) to the overall length.  I know I can measure something in the next few days and get an idea but would love to hear opinions.

Thanks!  Happy fourth to all.

Well, you should have taken the girth too. Don't tell us you don't care because you would not be discussing it here now. :laugh:

39 mins ago, ermghoti said:

As you say, if it's for your records, it doesn't really matter. If it's for bragging rights or whatever, specify how you measure them. In Massachusetts, the regulation states the tail lobes "may" be pressed together to make a minimum length.

Maine instructs you to pinch the tail...

9 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Well, you should have taken the girth too. Don't tell us you don't care because you would not be discussing it here now. :laugh:

Right Riddler, To Clarify- I did not say I don't care, what I said was 'I usually don't care" and that's true.  Most of my fishing is done on a kayak where accurate measuring of big fish is not worth the effort, and I rarely measure anything.  I also said this fish is over 50/50 so I question my measurements accuracy having not pinched the tail and having been told I should have.  I guess if I catch another over 50, I'd like to know what other guys are doing so I get it right.  I am not pretending I don't care.

24 mins ago, Huntnfish1 said:

Right Riddler, To Clarify- I did not say I don't care, what I said was 'I usually don't care" and that's true.  Most of my fishing is done on a kayak where accurate measuring of big fish is not worth the effort, and I rarely measure anything.  I also said this fish is over 50/50 so I question my measurements accuracy having not pinched the tail and having been told I should have.  I guess if I catch another over 50, I'd like to know what other guys are doing so I get it right.  I am not pretending I don't care.

Right. Some of these 50" do not weigh 50lbs. The girth is your helper then you go right to the Calculator or use the formula. 

9 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Maine instructs you to pinch the tail...

Come to think of it, the language I qutoed was from before the slot... I should double check, although I don't anticipate keeping bass this year.

Well I learned something here. Pinching tails as I’ve seen on YouTube strikes me as “cheating” for a extra inch or so. I’ve always measured from the lips to tail end, center line …. Not the fin tip ends, pinched or otherwise. I don’t see me changing any time soon.

Girth measurement is a practice I need to do more often.

23 mins ago, KironaFly said:

Well I learned something here. Pinching tails as I’ve seen on YouTube strikes me as “cheating” for a extra inch or so. I’ve always measured from the lips to tail end, center line …. Not the fin tip ends, pinched or otherwise. I don’t see me changing any time soon.

Girth measurement is a practice I need to do more often.

Back in the 70s,  NY was 16” fork length, while CT & NJ were 18” to unpinched tail tip. 

Measuring a fish will not give the weight. Weighing a fish will not give the measurement.

Any 50 is a great catch.  The very few I have caught we measured along side my skiff in  the water,so it is not precise,but I know It was a great fishh,that's all I care about. Good catch for you and your memories.

16 mins ago, SC said:

Measuring a fish will not give the weight. Weighing a fish will not give the measurement.

If we are going to get semantic now, both mass and length are measurements.