Mike Oliver

Great cast for around the cost of 4.5 Sage Rods

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

For past year I have been taking fly casting lessons every week and the cost as the thread title suggests was about four and a half of Sages top end single hand rods.

I am a bit of a rod hound but best rod in the world is just a stick if we do not know how to use it well.

I do not recognise my own cast now. Not silly cheap but the best bargain I ever bagged.

Better than being part of the chatter about casting issues and the BS that gets spouted forth.

If you can persuade yourself to take a similar journey stand by to be amazed.

I believed my cast to be ok previously I know differently now.

Threads might alter to where we discuss the relative merits of casting instructors.

I hope others see the light before I did.

mike

Mike - thanks for posting. There’s actually a guy by me (same town actually) that I’m going to see for the trout Spey/two hander +/- single hand. I keep forgetting to get in touch with him though but this has reminded me. 

I figured I would try a lesson and see what was up. There’s always room for improvement. 

Drew you are so right. The improvements will be proportionate to the number of lessons we take.

It took more than a dozen lessons before I got even close to starting to feel an improvement. Say 40 lessons in a year unless an unusual caster will see huge improvements.

Equally as important you start to understand what makes for a good and a poor cast. The techniques I have been taught are just not to be found in books or vids. They came from a world class caster with many many years of casting and fishing knowledge and experience. But it is a living experience as my Mentor is constantly seeking personal improvement in how he casts and how he teaches. Not all qualified Instructors do this.

mike

Agree. I’m not sure if the local guy is good but I’ll know quick. 

I have been incredibly fortunate in my fishing career overall and even more so on the fly side. I’ve known, been able to fish with, and call some of the best around friends. I no longer live near them but did so for many years. 

Mike, god bless for spending the money and even something more precious time. I would never have that kind of time. The two handed rod is a true instrument to use as I had a good spring with mine. Youtube/backyard and time on water, plus a little help on a correct line from slip and slide. Was fun. 

On 03/07/2021 at 1:49 AM, Mountain Brookies said:

$3600? 

Give or take a few dollars.

I did some work building security track cameras and I considered this not real money as I did not need it for living costs. I am kinda retired so wanted a new challenge. It has been worth every penny.

mike

On 03/07/2021 at 2:57 AM, jerseystriper said:

Mike, god bless for spending the money and even something more precious time. I would never have that kind of time. The two handed rod is a true instrument to use as I had a good spring with mine. Youtube/backyard and time on water, plus a little help on a correct line from slip and slide. Was fun. 

Jersey as I said  above to me it was not real money but if it had of been I still would have spent it. If I pass the exam I can eventually claw it back if I want to.

Time is very difficult for me to as I care for my Mom For half a week.

I just engineered a way to find the time. Practice time ideally needs to be every day. I can’t do that so I put in 8 hour casting days.

When the monkey is off my back I can go fishing again.

y tube has helped me. But compared to a good Mentor it’s not in the same ball park.

It is the critical eyes of the Mentor that keep you honest and on point.

mike

On 7/2/2021 at 6:49 PM, Mountain Brookies said:

$3600? 

Probably worth the cost to some. But not me. That is a weeks fishing trip. No question lessons are a good thing. But I would think a better compromise is a few lessons so you understand your faults and then practice. I'd have a hard time skipping a trip to pay for a years worth of lessons. 

Mike, no doubt having a professional look at and over ones casting is ultimately the way to go- not much different then a golf swing pro give a few lessons and pointers- I’ll never be a 5 handicap but a few lessons did help- a few lessons with a two handed rod would also help- love the leverage a 12.5 rod gives compared to 9 foot rod and when I get it right the ability to load the rod with just water tension, toss it back and then forward- a single false cast. Doesn’t always happen.

good luck and as far as money- it’s a free country spend it on what you want. 

7 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Give or take a few dollars.

I did some work building security track cameras and I considered this not real money as I did not need it for living costs. I am kinda retired so wanted a new challenge. It has been worth every penny.

mike

I was just wondering if I did my math right. That's great that you found an instructor that was worth it.

What you are saying about the time component hits home with me. 

I am curious about the progression. Was it a series of break throughs and plateaus? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mountain,

Yes it was. Some casts were more difficult. Roll cast and single spey. But once the breakthrough accurs  no problem.

It took me a few months to sort out the roll cast. The single spey six months.

The penny finally drops. I am a slow learner but tenacious.

It also depends to what std you wish to get to. I need to get to Instructor level.

I am learning all the speys  plus overheads plus presentation casts. Off both sides of the body. 
To get a decent overhead and double haul should be possible inside of ten lessons. But we all need a good roll cast to.
When fishing an inlet and our line is down current of us on the dangle it is very very useful to learn how to make a snap T and a double spey. These two casts and which one you use depends on which way the current is flowing and also which way the wind is blowing to reposition our line directly out in front of us enabling us to make a overhead cast.

This is way easier and more efficient than using a series of small change of angle overheads.

There is absolutely no problem in making spey casts with single hand rods including the ones with very fast actions and with wt forward lines or shooting heads.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

In the professional sports world, where technique can make the difference between success and failure, the coaches use Video Analysis Software, It sounds daunting but is quite simple. Front, side and rear video is taken of the player/ student and then matched up with a pro in slow motion frame by frame. Where do you get video of a pro? University of Utube with a Utube downloader. Golf pros and MLB players use it 

during slumps to compare when they were going good and  to see what bad habits have crept into their form causing their difficulty.

There are a lot more moving parts in a baseball swing and pitching delivery than a fly cast, but they have much in common to include form and timing.

Its been proven that the human mind learns seven times faster by observing the movements of oneself compare to the correct form.

All it takes after that is repetitive practice where the old adage kicks in.

"Practice doesn't make perfect..Perfect practice make perfect"

The proliferation of the many players in the game today throwing 100 mph is unprecedented. Training and nutrition is as much of a factor as proper efficient form.

Any of the Gurus not using this are stringing out the learning curve and would be fired for not using modern  video technology.

"You can observe a lot by just watching" ( Yourself on video) Y. Berra 

Edited by yarddog59

Yarddog59,

Great Post. I will ask both my Mentor and the organisation I am trying to qualify in if they are aware of this technology.

I wonder how much it costs. It sounds better than good.

It is amazing just how many of us think we are doing something when we are not. The video does not lie.

The parameters it can’t cover is feel of the line and rod. But it will help as feel is going to happen in a cast with good form.

It also could tend to turn out cookie cutters where the pupil is trying to replicate his Mentor. That is a supposition which is why I said could.

I would love to use this technology.

Mike

11 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

In the professional sports world, where technique can make the difference between success and failure, the coaches use Video Analysis Software, It sounds daunting but is quite simple. Front, side and rear video is taken of the player/ student and then matched up with a pro in slow motion frame by frame. Where do you get video of a pro? University of Utube with a Utube downloader. Golf pros and MLB players use it 

during slumps to compare when they were going good and  to see what bad habits have crept into their form causing their difficulty.

There are a lot more moving parts in a baseball swing and pitching delivery than a fly cast, but they have much in common to include form and timing.

Its been proven that the human mind learns seven times faster by observing the movements of oneself compare to the correct form.

All it takes after that is repetitive practice where the old adage kicks in.

"Practice doesn't make perfect..Perfect practice make perfect"

The proliferation of the many players in the game today throwing 100 mph is unprecedented. Training and nutrition is as much of a factor as proper efficient form.

Any of the Gurus not using this are stringing out the learning curve and would be fired for not using modern  video technology.

"You can observe a lot by just watching" ( Yourself on video) Y. Berra 

How are there more moving parts in a baseball swing?  Are you just referring to the addition of the legs/feet?

I was using Hudl Technique app to work with an instructor overseas.  Now I think the app has been changed to OnForm.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Edited by BrokeOff