fishhappy

Ruger Standard 22lr Automatic Pistol Issue

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

No, its not a Mark I, its Mark I's ugly cousin, the Ruger Standard 22lr Automatic Pistol, pre-Mark I, but manufactured along side the Mark I until about 1983 as a cheaper alternative.  It is the same gun as the Mark I but with fixed sights and a shorter barrel.   Mine was made in 68 and has the AK frame. In 71 Ruger switched the frame dies, those frames have a different stamp. I have the original magazine, and only one magazine. 

Yesterday my Ruger Standard began to mis feed. I could not feed an entire magazine. After 4 rounds, it would jam.  It did not matter what ammo I used, with the exception of Remington that it does not like at all, after 4 shots, it jammed. The jam looked like a bent 22 case with the bullet lodged in the barrel, easy enough to clean out. 

I purchased a new magazine today made by Ruger, but for the post 71 Mark I.  I hope it works, since I am assuming the issue is one with the magazine.  On another note, when cleaning it last night, a small shared piece of metal that I am assuming is part of casing, about the size of pinky finger nail clipping dropped out from behind the bolt. It doesn't look like it came from one of the gun's parts. 

I may not be able to leave any comments, but if you have advice, I will be checking in later this weekend. 

10 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Silly question but is the gun dirty?  Curious how it would work after a deep clean and lube, and clean the magazines and make sure the springs aren't compacted.

The gun and magazine are very clean. I don’t know if I can find another spring, I’ve looked. Yesterday, I picked up a new ruger mag, but I don’t shoot again until Friday.

The issue is the first three bullets fit fine and drop in, the fourth has to be forced in, and the 5 th forced more. 

First thing that comes to mind with your last comment is we all lose strength, in our hands as we age.... sucks but is true. Have you tried an auto loader? Will be interested to hear how both magazines perform after the cleaning of gun and original magazine.

17 mins ago, nightfighter said:

First thing that comes to mind with your last comment is we all lose strength, in our hands as we age.... sucks but is true. Have you tried an auto loader? Will be interested to hear how both magazines perform after the cleaning of gun and original magazine.

I didnt think about an autoloader, but why not, it cant hurt.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the UpLula, but honestly don't recall if I have ever used a speed loader on 22lr.....

edit; Uplula does 9mm to 45acp

Edited by nightfighter

Ruger has great customer service, consider sending it to them for repair.

48 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

Ruger has great customer service, consider sending it to them for repair.

Rugers suggestion was to buy its magazine replacement, and start fresh. The type of spring and follower in the original arent made anymore.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:56 AM, nightfighter said:

I purchased one Ruger Mark I factory mag. After a small modification, it fit, almost as good as the original except the base cap catches in the release. To fix this, I ordered the Eabco extended release, we shall see what happens when it arrives.

The spring in the new mag had me worried, because in comparison to the original, it goes down like pressing butter.  It does the job. No auto loader is needed. 
I still get a few more misfeeds than I like. My 10/22 with the same Aguila and Winchester loads has 0 malfunctions. I will try cci mini mags.