Bucktails_and_beers

Old dog, new tricks

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2021 at 0:14 PM, steve maranto said:

Double drop rig, size 6 gami circles, and fbbw has been my go to since i started. Never a reason to change and always produced on the Delaware beaches and AIVA.  Different weather conditions such as wind speed and direction as well as surf conditions can play a big role.  All part of the fun figuring out the patterns.

Vary your casting distance from far out to a gentle lob and let it sit. You'll eventually find them. Also not a bad idea to try fb crab or tipping your fb with small strip of real bait if you're feeling like what you're doing just aint working...some days they are pickier than others. 

I'm really intrigued by the fishbaits blood worms. I've never used them before but the advice I'm getting on them seems they are even better than actual bloodworms (and cost about 1/2 as much as what I've seen). I've been baiting hooks my whole life with crawlers and bloods, but damn if I can get them to sit on a hook in the surf much more than a cast or two. I really appreciate everyone's help. See you at the surf! Tight lines.

FBBW on a hi-lo rig with #1 or 1/0 owner mutu light circles.  Throw into the breakers.  Catch a spot.  Fillet and strip the spot.  Use small spot strips on the same rig thrown as far as you can (outer bar is great).  Thats my recipe for whiting and it works.  Sometimes spot are scarce.  Then you need to use FBBW until you catch a whiting.  You can then use whiting belly strips to catch more whiting.  

You will occasionally catch a small ray or a small shark on this setup.  It happens.  Trust me it's worth it.  In Sept/Oct use the whiting (and spot) heads for bait.

4 hours ago, KOSS said:

FBBW on a hi-lo rig with #1 or 1/0 owner mutu light circles.  Throw into the breakers.  Catch a spot.  Fillet and strip the spot.  Use small spot strips on the same rig thrown as far as you can (outer bar is great).  Thats my recipe for whiting and it works.  Sometimes spot are scarce.  Then you need to use FBBW until you catch a whiting.  You can then use whiting belly strips to catch more whiting.  

You will occasionally catch a small ray or a small shark on this setup.  It happens.  Trust me it's worth it.  In Sept/Oct use the whiting (and spot) heads for bait.

He ain't lying.

DampNaughtyBarnswallow-size_restricted.gif

20 hours ago, KOSS said:

Roundheads for bait = big reds.

16 hours ago, Catskill John said:

^^^^^

listen to this man!

... he’s probably the best on the beach, and a top notch guy. 

That's a mighty nice thing to say.  Hope I get to see you this fall.  BTW, I proudly display my black drum sticker on rear window, though it's getting a little beat up.

2 hours ago, KOSS said:

That's a mighty nice thing to say.  Hope I get to see you this fall.

Thats cause I’m a mighty nice guy! :) But the truth is the truth.  

yea, I think I got a couple drum trips left in me, hope to cross paths this fall. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, luckyOC said:

what's a 'whiting' :shrug:

:witty:

Whiting are found smoked and for sale at various markets north of Delmarva. = delicious =  Again the truth! :point::worms:The fight must go on :) 

Edited by Catskill John

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, KOSS said:

You will occasionally catch a small ray or a small shark on this setup.  It happens.

Or, if you happen to be Marcus, it's a 40"+ red! I would've been a nervous wreck reeling that one in!

Damn good hooks and even better advice. I prefer the 1/0 myself. Easier to tie.

My cousin took the kingfish category in the drum tourney a few years back with that same setup. I know because I tied the rig & cut the inch square pieces of fillet.

Man I miss that tournament!

Edited by AI GUY