Cubalaya reel

Rate this topic

Shakeyfly

4 hours ago, HillTop said:

For saltwater not much.   Most click/pawl reels are under 7wt in size.    No quarrels with someone wanting a larger salt water reel that's click/pawl, especially if you like to palm.    Guess I'm just thinking that for such a simple design (less costly manufacture due to less complexity and parts) a reel like that should be offered for a significantly lower price.    Looks like they are selling consumer direct  = more money in their pocket.   The Ross/Abel, Hardy's, Hatchs of the world have to give dealers a 40% discount so their $895 reel is being sold for $537 to the dealer yet the manufacturer is still making decent money or they wouldn't be selling them.  Compare this reel with a Colton.   Bob is selling his reels, consumer direct at about half this price and what appears to be a decent drag system.    For me that math just doesn't add up and I Agree with Oakman that it's seems way overpriced and can't understand someone wanting to pay that..... but what do I know, I've only been in manufacturing for 45+ years.    :)  

Right, but Tibor/Abel are 800 plus and mechanically very simple.  I don’t think anyone is paying for anything high tech in a fly reel.  

The Cubalaya is a 12.5 oz click/pawl with type III anodizing made for tarpon.  So if you want to feel extra connected to a 100# tarpon jumping all over…this seems to be the ticket.

Also, is Colton machined and assembled in the US?  I don’t care about this kind of stuff but I think effects the price points.

36 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

Right, but Tibor/Abel are 800 plus and mechanically very simple.  I don’t think anyone is paying for anything high tech in a fly reel.  

The Cubalaya is a 12.5 oz click/pawl with type III anodizing made for tarpon.  So if you want to feel extra connected to a 100# tarpon jumping all over…this seems to be the ticket.

Also, is Colton machined and assembled in the US?  I don’t care about this kind of stuff but I think effects the price points.

If you want to fight a 100#+ tarpon on a click pawl you have no respect for the fish, or you are the Hulk.   Colton is machined and assembled in the US. 

1 hour ago, Oakman said:

If you want to fight a 100#+ tarpon on a click pawl you have no respect for the fish, or you are the Hulk.   Colton is machined and assembled in the US. 

I guess it’s made for everything.  Seeing photos of bones, tarpon, permit and GTs.

..if a click pawl makes you feel more connected....just back off your drag and mechanically your Abel ot Tibor is at about the same disadvantage as your click pawl.    Your not doing your Tarpon any favors and it may die due to stress and exhaustion but for those without conscience its the perfect way to accomplish what your looking for.

,,,crank the drag, end the fight, save the fish.

Edited by HillTop

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Okie,

Click Pawl and fast long fighting fish equals need for very tough leathery skin on hands.

Hell you must  qualify for that attribute in spades. LOL.

Have you ever tried to hand brake a Blue fish or a decent Striper on a fly reel. I have when the pawl mechanism on my simple high end fly reel disengaged.

Not a whole lot of fun.

Each to their own buddy. The art of discovery is not yet dead.

Mikey

13 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Okie,

Click Pawl and fast long fighting fish equals need for very tough leathery skin on hands.

Hell you must  qualify for that attribute in spades. LOL.

Have you ever tried to hand brake a Blue fish or a decent Striper on a fly reel. I have when the pawl mechanism on my simple high end fly reel disengaged.

Not a whole lot of fun.

Each to their own buddy. The art of discovery is not yet dead.

Mikey

Mike, across the pond they say Buddy ?    Wouldn't the appropriate word be mate :)   Your reading too many American forums these days.    

Don't mean to be cheeky or par and not trying to mug you off.   Sorry, just a bit of useless banter mate.  Love all your neat idiomatic expressions  :)   Supposed to be cutting the lawn this morning but just sacking off readying the SOL posts. 

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

I can see where they're going with this but no way at that price, it needs to be at least half that at most.

Maybe the salmon & steelhead guys would bite, but again, price is an issue.

Lastly, another fly reel co that just popped up and at that price? I know there's not much to break but what if you need something in several years and the company is no longer around?

PS - after looking and thinking about it bit more I don't think that the lack of drag is all the much cost wise. On the modern 'sealed' drag reels that I have, the drags are really not all that impressive or expensive. The reel is still over priced but not by the 'half' that I said above. I also still don't get the click pawl for the type of fish that the reel suggests but at the same time pursuing tarpon on a 12wt rod with 8-10kg tippet with any reel with a good drag - I think we're kidding ourselves a bit by saying that the drag is that much better for the fish.

Edited by Drew C.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

A lot of tarpon have been caught on Medalists and I don't think those guys were disrespectful. I got my first on a click 'n pawl but it was a juvie and those guys will jump themselves into oblivion so it's not a legit test. That said after that juvie I got a horse-eye jack with some size and that was much less fun. $895 to essentially handicap yourself is insane. I grew up on Medalists with an enormous bamboo rod for bluefish and have no desire to return to either, but I do have a 1595 stashed in case I need a dose of nostalgia. I can't see getting anything more elaborate than that though.

Edited by stormy monday

Andy Mill has caught hundreds of tarpon and if I remember correctly he sets his drag at 2-4 lbs. I'm sure, with good fighting skills, tarpon could be taken efficiently on a C&P reel. 

As for schoolies, they get stripped in, the reel doesn't matter. Even big striped bass are not particularly hard or long fighters.  

Embrace American Privilege

On 03/07/2021 at 2:26 PM, HillTop said:

Mike, across the pond they say Buddy ?    Wouldn't the appropriate word be mate :)   Your reading too many American forums these days.    

Don't mean to be cheeky or par and not trying to mug you off.   Sorry, just a bit of useless banter mate.  Love all your neat idiomatic expressions  :)   Supposed to be cutting the lawn this morning but just sacking off readying the SOL posts. 

Buddy does get used over here but your right mate or matey is more common.

Par ? Thought that was to do with golf. Mug me off. Hell HT you got me there, lol.

I am lucky Anne does everything gardening. I have no liking for it.

Oakies humour would go down well over here. Sarky is good.

mike