Cubalaya reel

Rate this topic

Shakeyfly

Has anyone actually taken a plunge on one of these? I love the idea of them, but at that price point, you can buy fully sealed drag custom color reels. Its awesome it's American Made etc. But I was really shocked at the price. Curious if anyone has actually gotten one. Also the size is 9 - 12. with 9 weight line you're putting on like 400+ yards of backing. Their marketing online is saying there is a 6 - 9 weight coming out, but again. I can't imagine them varying on the price. 

IMG_9480-600x567.jpg

Edited by Shakeyfly
removed link

Far be it from me to disparage another fly reel company as I'm sure they all have their merits but for a click pawl reel, even CNC'd with "aircraft quality aluminum"  the price seems to be a real stretch.  There is nothing unique that hasn't been done before and though made in the US of A, even with the current rampant inflation rate and surging wage scale can't imagine that such a reel would justify that kind of dinero.      I constantly get emails from China for a company that manufactures reels for rebranding and for that type of CNC'd reel I can buy all day for under $50.    Best of luck to them.  Will be curious if they are still in business in another year as they have a lot of stiff competition with reels with drags for far less.

HT

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

14 mins ago, Hook I said:

its a pretty color Aqua = sure why not if you have the cash to do so , some spend alot of stupid money on Celtics tickets :laugh:

Hey, don't disparage my Celtics !   Though I gave up my season tickets once L. Bird retired.   1st year it was only $9.50 a ticket.... man how things have changed.

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

1 min ago, HillTop said:

Far be it from me to disparage another fly reel company as I'm sure they all have their merits but for a click pawl reel, even CNC'd with "aircraft quality aluminum"  the price seems to be a real stretch.  There is nothing unique that hasn't been done before and though made in the US of A, even with the current rampant inflation rate and surging wage scale can't imagine that such a reel would justify that kind of dinero.      I constantly get emails from China for a company that manufactures reels for rebranding and for that type of CNC'd reel I can buy all day for under $50.    Best of luck to them.  Will be curious if they are still in business in another year as they have a lot of stiff competition with reels with drags for far less.

HT

But what is the competition without drag?  

They aren’t trying to compete with Hatch/Nautilus/Tibor/Abel.

1 min ago, HillTop said:

Hey, don't disparage my Celtics !   Though I gave up my season tickets once L. Bird retired.   1st year it was only $9.50 a ticket.... man how things have changed.

Chuck , very good reason for the let go , its about then the game changed , hope all is well 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

5 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

For saltwater not much.   Most click/pawl reels are under 7wt in size.    No quarrels with someone wanting a larger salt water reel that's click/pawl, especially if you like to palm.    Guess I'm just thinking that for such a simple design (less costly manufacture due to less complexity and parts) a reel like that should be offered for a significantly lower price.    Looks like they are selling consumer direct  = more money in their pocket.   The Ross/Abel, Hardy's, Hatchs of the world have to give dealers a 40% discount so their $895 reel is being sold for $537 to the dealer yet the manufacturer is still making decent money or they wouldn't be selling them.  Compare this reel with a Colton.   Bob is selling his reels, consumer direct at about half this price and what appears to be a decent drag system.    For me that math just doesn't add up and I Agree with Oakman that it's seems way overpriced and can't understand someone wanting to pay that..... but what do I know, I've only been in manufacturing for 45+ years.    :)  

25 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

That is what started my search originally. For some reason, I think it would be really cool to fish for some schoolies on an 8weight with a click and pawl. That's what started my search originally along with the West Warwick Striper reel that's really hard to find. So I was hoping for a modern solution. This reel hits all the marks for me, but the price is put me off. I could see myself dropping $250 on something like that, but around 850, I'm loooking for an NV-G

Shakey,

If you really want to try it why not opt for a Sage Click Pawl at around $300.   I believe it's only a 5/6 wt reel but for schoolies on you 8 wt just chop the back end off your fly line and fill the spool (large arbor) with gelspun and give it a go.   

It has a palming rim and if you don't like it you can resell it and get a good part of your money back.   If you buy a Cubalaya and it' not for you I suspect you'll have a tough time getting even half your money back.     The other option if you don't mind not having a palming rim is to pickup a larger used Pflueger reel and give that a try.

HT

sage.png.6d8d6618cf7b9452cdb456b87483a7fe.png

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

HT

You said it right, HillTop.

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

For saltwater not much.   Most click/pawl reels are under 7wt in size.    No quarrels with someone wanting a larger salt water reel that's click/pawl, especially if you like to palm.    Guess I'm just thinking that for such a simple design (less costly manufacture due to less complexity and parts) a reel like that should be offered for a significantly lower price.    Looks like they are selling consumer direct  = more money in their pocket.   The Ross/Abel, Hardy's, Hatchs of the world have to give dealers a 40% discount so their $895 reel is being sold for $537 to the dealer yet the manufacturer is still making decent money or they wouldn't be selling them.  Compare this reel with a Colton.   Bob is selling his reels, consumer direct at about half this price and what appears to be a decent drag system.    For me that math just doesn't add up and I Agree with Oakman that it's seems way overpriced and can't understand someone wanting to pay that..... but what do I know, I've only been in manufacturing for 45+ years.    :)  

It seems to me everything HillTop said above is true as he's comparing practicality/performance and price re the aforementioned CubaLaya vs.known reliable reels he's mentioned that we all buyw/recommendations on this forum, like Colton, etc., and now, this new CubaLaya reel appears. HillTop manufactures Valentine reels and has for 45 yrs. as he said,  + he knows what saltwater fishermen need in their purchased reels. He fishes his reels so he knows how they perform and what's needed to refine the reel. IMO, practically nothing! He's shown me his V reel on the beach while fishing and, if I needed a new reel, I'd purchase  a Valentine flyreel:) I was very impressed with its features and so, would purchase another reel, when needed, from Valentine. 

In this thread re CubaLaya reels, I value HillTop's comments if I were considering purchasing a CubaLaya reel. I think you'd know which reel or other flyreels I'd choose other than a CubaLaya:)