Fishaholic Ivan

Single hook choice

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I usually replace my lure hooks with any 4X strength 8/0 to 10/0 straight shank J hook.. Usually nickel plated..  I like using these large hooks because I don't want to be bothered catching small fish..  

I mostly use Owner XXX Strong inline hooks to replace the rear trebles.  Sometimes Decoy.  Last year I even tried putting an assist hook with very short cord there.  I liked it, but most fish hit the front treble…

2 hours ago, ma.angler said:

I mostly use Owner XXX Strong inline hooks to replace the rear trebles.  Sometimes Decoy.  Last year I even tried putting an assist hook with very short cord there.  I liked it, but most fish hit the front treble…

Owners and BKK are my favorite too.Did you try change belly treble for single too ? Treble look like sure catch...not sure about single on belly...usually eat head first,so curious if someone try 2 singles and missed hookups or lost fish...

1 hour ago, Fishaholic Ivan said:

Owners and BKK are my favorite too.Did you try change belly treble for single too ? Treble look like sure catch...not sure about single on belly...usually eat head first,so curious if someone try 2 singles and missed hookups or lost fish...

No I haven’t really tried replacing the front treble.  Replacing just the rear hook changes the action, replacing both would probably result in completely different lure.  A few days ago I came across a video regarding removing the rear hook completely and replacing it with small bullet weight with longer/shorter wire.  Sounds a like a little more pain to set up than just replacing the hook, but adjusting the weight could help in keeping the action closer to original.  If I ever go that route, then replacing the front hook could be the next step.