Jefffahfffah

Upgrading drag on international 30 TW

10 posts in this topic

I just bought a penn international 30 TW for tuna trips. Its my understanding that the drag in these old reels can be upgraded to the new HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers, but I've also read that other parts are needed for this.

Can anyone tell me what I need for this upgrade?

In addition, will a newer handle with the rubber grip fit on this reel to replace the original one?

Hello Jefffahfffah, 

HT-100 is no longer available for the 30TW.  We now upgrade the reels with latest Dura-Drag washers.  You would need the Dura-Drag drive plate and polished metal washer.  A newer style rubber grip handle is also available to replace the original handle.  If the reel was bought second hand I highly suggest sending the reel in for service.  The reel would be completely broken down and cleaned in the ultrasonic tank.  Any worn parts would be placed.  The drag would be upgraded and the reel would be re-greased.  If you like I can PM you details on how to send the reel in.

Jim

3 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hello Jefffahfffah, 

HT-100 is no longer available for the 30TW.  We now upgrade the reels with latest Dura-Drag washers.  You would need the Dura-Drag drive plate and polished metal washer.  A newer style rubber grip handle is also available to replace the original handle.  If the reel was bought second hand I highly suggest sending the reel in for service.  The reel would be completely broken down and cleaned in the ultrasonic tank.  Any worn parts would be placed.  The drag would be upgraded and the reel would be re-greased.  If you like I can PM you details on how to send the reel in.

Jim

Please do, that would be great. Can the handle and new Dura-Drag be added suring service at your facility?

Also what is your turn-around time like this time of year?

Hi Jefffahfffah,

Yes the handle and Dura-Drag can be added during service.  Turnaround time for Internationals is 3 - 4 weeks based off parts availability.  

Jim

Years ago, I bought an International II 20 and a 30. Cal Sheets got the first, another tuner got the second, and (such is life) I've yet to have a tuna on either one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Slightly off-topic, but still within the spirit of this post.

Cal Sheets is no longer doing "2-speed conversions" on older International models such as those discussed in this post. 

Edited by Tunanorth

22 hours ago, BrianBM said:

What's Cal up to these days? .... must go see his website.

He and son Eric are very busy these days.

Their primary business now is custom gear ratios for just about every major brand of reel, and custom drag arcs, along with enhancing castability of large lever drags.

Edited by Tunanorth

On 7/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, Tunanorth said:

He and son Eric are very busy these days.

Their primary business now is custom gear ratios for just about every major brand of reel, and custom drag arcs, along with enhancing castability of large lever drags.

Whats the best way to reach out to them.....?That sounds fun :)

Edited by scoobydoo

On 7/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, scoobydoo said:

Whats the best way to reach out to them.....?That sounds fun :)

Just call,,,,,:) there in fallbrook,,California in the middle of nowhere,,,,:kiss:in the middle of farmland,,,but super busy right now with the bluefin tuna rush,,,,,,:help: but great people that will answer any questions,,,,,:hey:but my 20ii is going to alan taina first week of September im flying in to hang out,,,,,,,:D