UncleJohn

July 2021 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

500 posts in this topic

A little more surf action this morning but not by much.  Water still very warm but at least where I stopped the rays were not around.  Lots of bunker off shore that did look a bit nervous and we're on the move.  Manage to get one with stripes to the sand and dropped a second in the wash using bugs.  Also got a couple of small blues after casting for the macks that were jumping.  Maybe the cold front coming through today will help the conditions.

54 mins ago, suntzu said:

i have not been able to fish much in July and am completely out of synch with what is going on out there-doesn’t take long and leaves you feeling like you have no idea what you are doing; need to get back in synch and back to fishing every day

Cant fish everyday either and I always feel I'm "out of synch." That's why this thread is great cause it helps give some idea what's going on out there. Many thanks to yourself and to the regular posters here.

Fished OC from 6 to 8 am, plenty of small bait in the water with small blues chasing them.  Hopefully the bait hangs around and try again this evening.

Beach water in my area still chocolate milk. Might need to consider fishing further south or closer to a different inlet soon. Saw multiple individual bunker pods a few hundred feet off which appeared to have something under them. Also lots of small bait in the washline.

Completely abandoned fluke and mackerel until the water clears up, and switched to bass. Sucks for the cooler, but more fun for me. Getting some schoolies working the lip with small epoxy jigs - I think the bass are now feeding on the rainbait as well as the sand crabs. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, suntzu said:

Where is Maximus from? I like them in fish tacos

What has it got in it's pockets?  Okay, I'll bite..

Reference movie "Gladiator" starring Russel Crowe as General Maximus Decimus Meridius.

Hmm Maximus served Rome, and he was from what was then Roman colony of Hispaniola on the Iberian Peninsula, his family estate was in Trujillo... 

....could be an odd reference to Raphael Trujillo who ruled a dictatorship in the Dominican Republic in 1930 before he was assasinated by a bomb hidden in cart full of Sea Bass.... Or this is an obvious red herring?

... Or maybe the Rome connection... they liked making a fish sauce called garum that was made from mullet, or tuna...

Hispaniola eventually became Spain....

Spanish?  Maximus?  Mighty Max? Gladiator?....  

My answer Mr. Smeagle in the form of a question:  What is Spanish Macs?

Edited by BillHoo

Finally had a few free hours to hit a stretch of sand in SoMoCo from 6:30 to 8:30 last night.  Went looking for fluke or kingfish on the ultralight.  Tossed tiny bucktails w/gulp minnow trailer, single sand fleas on Carolina rig, and Gulp.  Unfortunately, not a touch.  

Water was clean with a bit of wave action and rainbait in the wash.  Spoke to another guy who had a few short fluke.  Nice night to be on the sand, but very surprised at the lack of fluke.  Have been having decent luck out back and hoped to bring that with me out front. 

30 mins ago, BillHoo said:

What has it got in it's pockets?  Okay, I'll bite..

Reference movie "Gladiator" starring Russel Crowe as General Maximus Decimus Meridius.

Hmm Maximus served Rome, and he was from what was then Roman colony of Hispaniola on the Iberian Peninsula, his family estate was in Trujillo... 

....could be an odd reference to Raphael Trujillo who ruled a dictatorship in the Dominican Republic in 1930 before he was assasinated by a bomb hidden in cart full of Sea Bass.... Or this is an obvious red herring?

... Or maybe the Rome connection... they liked making a fish sauce called garum that was made from mullet, or tuna...

Hispaniola eventually became Spain....

Spanish?  Maximus?  Mighty Max? Gladiator?....  

My answer Mr. Smeagle in the form of a question:  What is Spanish Macs?

That was great :)

On 7/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, BillHoo said:

Effingers!!??  In Bound Brook?  I thought they had closed up years ago!?

I think it was about 2015 when the rumor 1st surfaced that the company who made Vision Eels was going out of business.  That soft plastic had been so productive for me over the years I went straight to Effingers and bought out the rest of their inventory.  The store closed about a year later.

Ocean county in the back this morning with the fly rod. Not a touch on clousers or shrimp patterns. I was hoping for some fluke on the incoming off the sedges I was on. Ocean county surf tonight at sunset. 4 fluke and 1 2 lb blue on metal. Lots of small bait in the water. Bluefish was splitting up half its body weight in what looked like spearing but a wave came in and washed it all away before I could check it out closer. Back out in the am in the surf with fly rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hit the sand for sunset and caught this guy. It had my baby school bus bomber in its mouf….

Eeeeels……..

F074CD75-63A0-4457-B584-9CDC2A31B261.jpeg

Edited by Eeeeels

while in an inlet this weekend past, I caught a blue spitting up tiny sand eels(I think) not spearing but very small minus 3" . Also, what looked to be a meaty fish (maybe bunker) b ut with white meat . In the area on the ground where I landed a 3 lb blue fish. Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

while in an inlet this weekend past, I caught a blue spitting up tiny sand eels(I think) not spearing but very small minus 3" . Also, what looked to be a meaty fish (maybe bunker) b ut with white meat . In the area on the ground where I landed a 3 lb blue fish. Hope this helps. 

Peanuts