UncleJohn

July 2021 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

371 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

So I am on the jetty and two divers just decide it’s ok to just spear fish right in front of me. I’m supposed to be cool with this?

Frigging bulls$&t man

Back in the day it’s a different game

Eeeeels

812ACC3B-AA2D-4E2F-91B2-CE0EFF615E9C.jpeg

The divers are the biggest ccksuckers of all the ocean activities when it comes to this.  Used to drive me insane when I fished jetty country a lot.  Alot of screaming matches, but in the end they usually have a spear gun so it could be a very one sided fight.

13 hours ago, JimK said:

Yeah.. A 3 oz. Sinker strategically tossed....back In the day....

It's moved to a 4 oz that I use.

Well ... the good news is that the water temp finally took a turn and is a touch warmer. 

I noticed this while surfing this morning... if your interested in that type of thing 

4 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Well ... the good news is that the water temp finally took a turn and is a touch warmer. 

I noticed this while surfing this morning... if your interested in that type of thing 

I noticed the same thing, big bump

I fish some daylight in the spring & fall-so I've experienced most of what makes me fish the dark-the majority of the time.

Of note- I decided to try for some Spanish from a jetty last summer. Anglers lined up -but spaced along the entire jetty. Two divers enter the water and act like nobody but them exist and go up & down half of the jetty length. Never saw anything like that.

10 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

I fish some daylight in the spring & fall-so I've experienced most of what makes me fish the dark-the majority of the time.

Of note- I decided to try for some Spanish from a jetty last summer. Anglers lined up -but spaced along the entire jetty. Two divers enter the water and act like nobody but them exist and go up & down half of the jetty length. Never saw anything like that.

Here's a friendly PSA for everyone since we're on topic. If you're in the town of manasquan and theres a spear"fisherman" they are ONLY allowed to be in the water from 5:30pm to 830 am. So in other words 830am-530pm they are not permitted to do their buisness.  Found that out once when one spearo called the cops on another spearo because they almost got into a fight while in the water. :eek:

Once the cops showed they diffused this tense situation. They dropped that bit of info and called back to HQ and verified. Then they walked around and asked everyone to leave the water. 

I'm not saying call the cops but if one of those guys is being a real jerk it might be that they are not lawfully permitted to be there in the first place.

10 hours ago, CharlieK said:

An old friend JT had two sayings for this. If they were on the sand an buggin you it was "duck or bleed". If they were in the water it was "they fight like hell but they taste like $hit" ( right after he put on his biggest swimmer).

We would usually save the 6 oz sinkers for the boats that mugged you.

He hasn't changed a bit

Posted (edited) · Report post

FYI.....fella boated a 62.5 lb'er outside RB ..also LBI confirmed surf temp. ranging from  54 to 60 degrees with a south wind....Burrrr.

62.5lb'er.jpg

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

58 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

FYI.....fella boated a 62.5 lb'er outside RB ..also LBI confirmed surf temp. ranging from  54 to 60 degrees with a south wind....Burrrr.

62.5lb'er.jpg

Fish doesn't look anywhere near 63lbs...  maybe half that weight

out in northern OC this morning, 6:30 to 8:30.  No other fisherman out.

Water cold, waves up, grey skies and fog. Looked like the start of the Fall ;)

but not a tap on bucktails, tins or soft plastics.  

Been a less than productive Spring and early Summer for me.  

Think I need to change tactics and locations, with more focus on bay and inlet.  Or get lead out and start baiting up with bugs 

would be nice to know if others are seeing a change in northern OC sand fishing this season. 

Edited by TimeAndTide

As @Mr.Belmar mentioned the water temp is back on the rise.  Could have left the waders home this morning.  Even though the water has warmed it didn't seem to get the fish back on the feed.  Did finally land one 26 incher late morning but that was the only hit I could get.  Fish had a lot of red showing.  The amount of bugs washing around this morning was insane.  You sure didn't need much of a scoop to get all you wanted.  Looking to the NNE wind forecast for the morning to be a trigger to get'em feeding again.  It should warm the surf even more.

DSCF3511.JPG

Edited by MC55

1 hour ago, ND74 said:

Fish doesn't look anywhere near 63lbs...  maybe half that weight

Thats certainly way over 30 lbs, like laughably over 30 lbs,  I wasnt there to confirm 63 but that looks like an easy 50.