UncleJohn

July 2021 Fishing reports

Rate this topic

500 posts in this topic

The small gulls were picking something off the surface in the choppy south wind in Cape May Coubty. I did get a fish yesterday much further up the parkway in Ocean County. I headed up after work thinking I’d wait out the tide for flounder and then head to the beach. In three hours or so if fishing I caught one  fluke at around 11-14”. As soon as the guys ti my left moved I used the current to just take the 41/4 “ soft plastic until I felt the hit . Got the fish over the wall and then it unhooked on its own. I def need a net. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

This AM NoMoCo, sun was slow to rise with the cloud cover and a light SW wind....oh yeah way muggy. Last of the outgoing no bait showing, no mole crabs showing but the terns were picking in wash back. I used a mole crab fly along with a foam float I made to keep the crab in the zone....it worked great but no dice. Finally a nice five pound bluefish nailed my Clouser in the wash, tore line out of the basket and on the reel......good fight with two jumps. Tide bottomed out but we had deep enough water with some current but coffee calls.

20210717_055138.jpg

FB_IMG_1626523272883.jpg

Ocean county beach last night at sunset for an hour. . 2 hits while bouncing a bucktail for fluke. Saw a decent size slender size fish launch out of the water in the surf. Maybe a Spanish? I tried an epoxy jig after I saw him. No takers. 

Well yesterday was the first time since Tuesday I could hit the sand and it’s been skunky. Split AM PM outings both on the outgoing. Lost a small fish at the lip and the rest were fluky type hits and pulls. Nada. 

Beautiful mild AM today, slight W wind, middle of outgoing, flat ocean and little surf. Not a good day for bugs in my stretch, very little current. Not a good day for lures either. Not a tap. Small bait pods were getting harassed out of range by small predators. Saw one short fluke pulled in. But it was nice seeing some local guys I haven’t seen in a while and met up with one of our SOL’ers. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out tomorrow. 

nice morning today. Fished mco 5:30 -6:30. Decent amount of dolphin around and small pods of what I think were bunker. I got 1 skate on bugs.Good beach day. Water is clean.

Northern OC, on the surf around 7 AM.  Low tide. clean, calm and clear water.  Rays or skates put on a show chasing bait just on the edge of the sandbar.

Lots of bugs in the wash but forgot my bait rigs.

Lost a gulp tail to something with sharp teeth.  Switched to a point jude tin and landed a 18 inch blue. 

Edited by TimeAndTide

Will agree with @DeeMonee on the conditions out there this morning.  Clean water but very little drift or current with the surf calming down a lot.  It's going to stay that way for the next couple of days if you believe Magic Seaweed.  Did find one spot that I could send out some bugs with no weight and found one at 28 1/2 inches.  Also pulled in the first dog fish of the year.  Will head a bit south tomorrow since I haven't hit that area in awhile.

DSCF3551.JPG

DSCF3552.JPG

Tried fluking early this morning but local beach has been invaded. Doubled up twice on these guys before I switched to metals, and they took them too. Also saw some rays in the surf. 

Robin.jpg

Edited by Phish_Jimmy

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Will agree with @DeeMonee on the conditions out there this morning.  Clean water but very little drift or current with the surf calming down a lot.  It's going to stay that way for the next couple of days if you believe Magic Seaweed.  Did find one spot that I could send out some bugs with no weight and found one at 28 1/2 inches.  Also pulled in the first dog fish of the year.  Will head a bit south tomorrow since I haven't hit that area in awhile.

DSCF3551.JPG

DSCF3552.JPG

do dogfish ever swim near the surface in the surf? I saw a small fin this morning 50 yds off.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:57 AM, levari said:

You got it.. $50 S&H

Good thing I stocked up when the rumor was just starting to surface.  I cleaned out Effinger's in one shot stopping in on my way home after work  :)

Fished outgoing in ocean county out front this morning. 5-8am. Nice clear water. Lots of small blues jumping in the surf at sunrise but couldn't tell for sure what they were chasing. Threw a few metals and only got one hit. 

Switched to bottom fishing with some bloodworms and managed a handful of nice size kingfish. 

41 mins ago, fishless said:

Good thing I stocked up when the rumor was just starting to surface.  I cleaned out Effinger's in one shot stopping in on my way home after work  :)

I have a bunch of singles that I don’t use after leaving NJ..The fish here are going after slug-go’s

54 mins ago, fishless said:

Effingers!!??  In Bound Brook?  I thought they had closed up years ago!?