travisoneil

1st Cape Henlopen experience

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I was out at Henlopen last week a few times.  I walked in from the gun turrets and a couple of the other drive-on access' to the North up towards the big dune.  I was on the beach just before sunrise and off again by 0900 as the crowds, both beach-goers and drive-ons, started to pick up quickly.  I walked up and down the beach throwing bucktails and gulp, the only thing I hooked was a big skate/ray which decided it wanted to take me down the beach about 100 yards or so until a knot in my leader decided it had enough and decided to fail.  I was on a mission to try to catch my first flounder off the beach using jigs and bucktail that I had poured, painted and tied entirely myself, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be last week.  Later in the week I was talking to a surf fisherman at Broadkill whom informed me that the beach fishing had been dead for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  His thoughts were that the water had warmed too much for flounder to tolerate and that they had probably more offshore to deeper water.  What are other's thoughts on the water temperature idea?

20 hours ago, kulpy44 said:

I was out at Henlopen last week a few times.  I walked in from the gun turrets and a couple of the other drive-on access' to the North up towards the big dune.  I was on the beach just before sunrise and off again by 0900 as the crowds, both beach-goers and drive-ons, started to pick up quickly.  I walked up and down the beach throwing bucktails and gulp, the only thing I hooked was a big skate/ray which decided it wanted to take me down the beach about 100 yards or so until a knot in my leader decided it had enough and decided to fail.  I was on a mission to try to catch my first flounder off the beach using jigs and bucktail that I had poured, painted and tied entirely myself, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be last week.  Later in the week I was talking to a surf fisherman at Broadkill whom informed me that the beach fishing had been dead for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  His thoughts were that the water had warmed too much for flounder to tolerate and that they had probably more offshore to deeper water.  What are other's thoughts on the water temperature idea?

Possible but not likely.  The water temp is only part of the beach flounder equation.  They are still around but if you are looking for big doormats in the surf it just does not happen much on the flat de beaches, nothing there to hold fish.

I have seen bigger flounder in the De bay in midsummer with water that is hot.  So they all do not leave and certainly not because of the water temp.

Keep trying and make notes of how, where and why when you find then

Rinse and repeat

On 7/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, kulpy44 said:

Most of the bigger flounder move deeper when the water temps get high but there are still a lot in the shallows all summer, mostly shorts though. Our beach structure sucks so you’re at the mercy of when they want to eat. The biggest factor is putting in a lot of hours per trip so you’re there when they turn on.

Fishing from shore in Delaware is always good one day and then dead for a week. One day I’ll get 10-15 flounder, the next day I’ll get skunked. Conditions can be exactly the same as the day before and they just don’t bite. The tides and weather and everything can line up perfectly but the fish just don’t cooperate, or everything could look wrong on paper but it turns out to be a great trip. 

We went out yesterday and fished the point at Cape Henlopen. It was extremely crowded. You can fish all the out to the actual point in September when the open the beach. Right now is closed for the plover. The fishing is much better when you can fish the point.