travisoneil

1st Cape Henlopen experience

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Fishing during the weekend of July 10th??

Heading to cape henlopen the weekend after just getting back from St. Petersburg Fl to check it out.  I'm a west Virginia boy so beaches aren't exactly right next door.  Assateague is full so I got the last spot for just 10th weekend.  Anyone have any expectations on the fishing?  

kings, spot...maybe a rare bluefish..(cut spot up for bait)..get there early (crack of dawn) and leave early and you won't feel crowded...

It gets crowded.  Spot, kingfish and flounder.  Soaking bait for flounder isn't really ideal.  The bait shop there will help you out

It's sharks you want. Hit one of the DSSP beaches out front. Go at night, cast a big stick, big bait, you may catch one. But you better know what sharks are legal. 

I never target sharks unless that's all that's biting.  I already checked on which ones were legal.  

Last week at the gulf it seemed like the bonnethead were everywhere.  Landed 6 on the surf from 2 to 4 feet roughly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

At Assateague, lots of panfish on good days, bloodworms, fishbites, sand fleas, etc....

Sizable sharks are plentiful - cut bait - bunker/spot/whatever - day is ok, but night is right.

Edited by Steve Coleman

just saw a post elsewhere of some small blues taken @ the cape recently...cut up them spot ...bluefish can't resist..kings like it too..as for flounder off the surf this month..-don't get your hopes up @ cape henlopen...try fenwick if that's what your looking for.