AaronWilde

5001C vs 5501 Pro Rocket

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey! I want to buy a new Abu to play with and I have the chance to buy an used 9/10 condition Abu 5001C reel from 1986 for $200 Canadian. I have also been looking into buying a new Abu 5501 Pro Rocket Black Edition for $259.99 Canadian. 

I've been doing a lot of research and looking into the internal schematics and I cannot find much information on these reels. I've attached both schematics below and circled the differences in red.

For the Pro Rocket Black Editions all I can find for info is that some people say they cast further than the C3/C4's, and that they feel more sturdy, but others say there is little difference more than a marketing gimmick over the C3/C4's. On the schematics (below) the only difference is the side plate has an second cast control knob (dual cast control knobs), and inside the second knob is a speed bullet or speed bushing. I can't find any more information nor can I understand how or why that would make much difference for casting as the C3/C4's are factory centered spools, and almost identical inside besides the second cast control knob and speed bullet.

Then there is 5001C from 1986. I can't find much info on it and can't even figure out what the gear ratio is? Seems 4.7:1 is likely but maybe someone can chime in? It's a bit different design inside as you can see in the schematics (below) it has it's spool and spool shaft as one piece with the bearings on either end instead of in between the shaft and the spool like on modern Abu's. I am wondering how this would cast compared to the newer ones, feel, and hold up?

I have an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5501 C3 that I made a few upgrades to (Dual worm drive bearings, ceramic spool bearings, cog wheel bearing, and ceramic pawl). I enjoy how easy it is to take apart and clean. It would be sweet to buy one of these reels I have listed and have a second Abu to work with. I am hoping that one of these reels would be a step up in the casting distance department/quality feel department. I use it to cast 10grams to 30 grams of lead with a 5 foot leader to a lure (spinner) that has no weight on the ocean from shore in the Pacific north west for Salmon.

Any info would be appreciated :D

5001c.png

5501 pro rocket.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

Go newer

Spool / spindle design whilst not better, per se, with the spool spinning on a spindle , is faster and MORE COMMON

Being newer, parts will be easier to find for the newer reel.

Edited by ZAFisher

I’m not down playing abu s I own to many to count in various sizes ..but for a little more than the two hundred you can get a brand new Akios  that will fish and cast as far as you like ...tommy farmer at carolina cast pro has a good selection ...

9 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

I’m not down playing abu s I own to many to count in various sizes ..but for a little more than the two hundred you can get a brand new Akios  that will fish and cast as far as you like ...tommy farmer at carolina cast pro has a good selection ...

I've looked at the Akios and the one they have with a levelwind is the Akios S-Line 651 CSM left hand. It's too big for casting 20 grams for 8 hours. Too much line capacity and too much weight at 16.2 grams. Unless I am not seeing a smaller levelwind version there? Nice reels for sure A

My preference is non level wind and add a bead on the brakes if the magnet is not sufficient for braking ..LOL LOL LOL ...what ever works for you is the best...

Edited by Surf bomber

2 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

My preference is non level wind and add a bead on the brakes if the magnet is not sufficient for braking ..LOL LOL LOL ...what ever works for you is the best...

Backlashing isnt my issue with CT.. im casting and retrieving 10 to 30 gram spinners over and over and the levelwind is convenient for line lay

The man is after a left hand wind 5000 size reel.

Not common.....

CCPS might have a 6000 LHW LW reel in n stock, but not a 5000 size.

1 hour ago, AaronWilde said:

Backlashing isnt my issue with CT.. im casting and retrieving 10 to 30 gram spinners over and over and the levelwind is convenient for line lay

A 200 size Low Profile reel for that might actually be a better bet though....

Are you casting in the surf for say perch or more in rivers for steelhead? (was looking at your profile photo)

Edited by ZAFisher

Just now, ZAFisher said:

The man is after a left hand wind 5000 size reel.

Not common.....

CCPS might have a 6000 LHW LW reel in n stock, but not a 5000 size.

Indeed! The Akios Shuttle 551 LSi looks amazing but only sold in few stores across the planet from me and out of stock. The Akios S-Line CSM 656 RGX OBX Special Edition also looks like it would do the trick if only it were available in a left handed model. It's a 6000 size but it's lighter than the 551 at only 330g! Any heavier of a reel and it's not so fun after 6 hours of power casting and retrieving 20 gram spinners lol

4 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

A 200 size Low Profile reel for that might actually be a better bet though....

Are you casting in the surf for say perch or more in rivers for steelhead? (was looking at your profile photo)

Casting on the beach (saltwater) in the Pacific west coast of Canada for Coho Salmon with a 10-30 gram spinner lure

Edited by AaronWilde

Seriously consider a 200 or perhaps 300 size LP.

Tranx maybe a Lexa?

They cast beautifully and the comfort of "clawing" a LP with your non-winding hand in an easily adjustable LP platform is very nice. A very comfortable fishing tool.

I love my round reels just 'cause they make me feel good, but my LP's are superior to fish with

Edited by ZAFisher

1 min ago, ZAFisher said:

Seriously consider a 200 or perhaps 300 size LP.

Tranx maybe a Lexa?

They cast beautifully and the comfort of "clawing" a LP with your non-winding hand in an easily adjustable LP platform is very nice. A very comfortable fishing tool.

I love my round reels just 'cause they make me feel good, but my LP's are superior to fish with

Yeah, I have considered LPs. I would get the Daiwa Coastal 200 TWS. They are in stock for 2 day shipping on Amazon for $200 USD. I like the idea of LP for comfort and the Coastal for the twing design.. the only thing keeping me wanting Abu/Akios is how easy it is to open up and clean out. I fish the salt water almost daily in the summer and have to tear the reel down every few days sometimes. I guess I could just learn the Coastal but I hear those mag sealed bearings are a pain to clean lol