jjdbike

Diawa SS Tournament: input please?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Looking for a long cast spinning reel in the 2500 - 3000 size to fish 10lb braid. It will be paired w/ a Black Hole Suzuki Special 2 UL moderate fast 8’6” rated for 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz, 8-16lb test. 
The only other small long cast I see is the Penn Conflict 2 long cast 4000. It’s too bog for that rod.

What can you tell me about that Diawa SS Tournament? It looks a little old school and clunky. Is it any good? 
What size would be equivalent to a 2500?

If anyone knows of any other - better long cast reels in that size please share.

Thanks in advance!

JD

4000 Stradic FL.

Yes I know it sounds big, but it isn't

Light at 10oz

Smooth.

Worm gear line lay + 55mm spool lip + long-ish spool stroke + AR-C spool lip = little long cast reel

Casts like a dream, esp with 10lb braid.

1 min ago, ZAFisher said:

4000 Stradic FL.

Light at 10oz

Smooth.

Worm gear line lay + 55mm spool lip + long-ish spool stroke + AR-C spool lip = little long cast reel

or the same sized Vanford. a little lighter than the stradic

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

4000 Stradic FL.

Light at 10oz

Smooth.

Thanks man, I have several Stratics. I'm looking for a more dedicated specially long cast reel.

1 hour ago, cbinvb said:

or the same sized Vanford. a little lighter than the stradic

Yes, thanks.

1 hour ago, matt boyer said:

The ss1300 would compare to a 2500. I’d consider a 4000 size reel for that size rod or getting a ss1600 

Thanks!

Can you, or anyone please tell me a little bit about that Diawa SS Tournament? Is it a well designed, strong, smooth and durable reel? 

Thanks again,

JD

The SS has been around forever. It’s very reliable. I believe all sizes come with felt drags. The downside is they don’t have infinite anti reverse and the folding handle has a lot of slop in it. 

The SS Tournament is a great reel and great value. The reel is older tech with no instant anti reverse or fancy bells and whistles but they are durable and easy to maintain. The drag is very smooth.

The 1300 was my go to reel for albies and steelhead for many years. As mentioned, the 1600 may be a better match for that rod.

One of the biggest reasons Daiwa introduced this reel was and is for people targeting big fish with light line. It is a durable reel known for having an extremely smooth drag.

SS is an incredible reel.  Clunky yes. No infinate anti reverse.  Simple. Easy to work on. Keep the drag clean and lubed and it will last damn near forever. I have multiple.  There is a reason it's still being made 20 plus years later.

Many a VS has been “Hot Rodded” when it’s jerky drag was replaced with Diawa greased felt washers. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

If you already have a stradic FL why don't you use it?

Could be he is looking for long cast spool, l still have my 1600 and 1300 from the early 90s.

14 hours ago, DAQ said:

The SS Tournament is a great reel and great value. The reel is older tech with no instant anti reverse or fancy bells and whistles but they are durable and easy to maintain. The drag is very smooth.

lt does have an almost instant lock up that has never failed me, it's not the bearing clutch type but it works.

Edited by LB

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been fishing them since they came out. Great reels, I've had every size (except the hard to find Japanese release only 9000)

If I were to pick on one bad thing, it's that the anti-reverse pawl is mounted to graphite. If you pull too hard to often at hard snags you will break the post off, which means you'll need a new reel body.

I did it once to a 1300 that I beat on pretty badly for a few seasons shad fishing in the Delaware - constantly breaking off snags. Should have wrapped the line around a stick before pulling rather than pulling directly off the reel. Been meaning to replace that reel.

Edited by Sudsy

I too have 90's 1300 still in use, been my steelhead reels, fish to 20 lbs. I have no idea what line you have on yours to break off the anti reverse, but mine, 4 of them haven't had that problem and snags are pretty regular drift fishing. The difference between continuous antireverse bearings and mine might be one inch at hookset. I have seen no difference in fishability to warrant my stopping using them instead of my later reels that I have to repair/ replace much more often. I am however a person who does a lot of wilderness fishing where stores are rare and far away so my gear has to be as fail proof as possible. Other bulletproof reels of note are the .Penn 430 SS, take 40+ years of hard use, fresh and saltwater to wear one out, the drag is huge and failproof.