Drew C.

Vise - What do you use?

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

New addition - shank head. Much easier to tie on shanks.

IMG_1769.jpeg

Is there a notch in the head to hold the shank?

10 mins ago, theshadow said:

Is there a notch in the head to hold the shank?

There are 2 curved notches on both sides of the jaws and 1 straight one on only one of the jaws. I only have straight shanks right now, it holds them tightly with very little shank in the jaw. Max hook size is #2 per Regal. Pics aren't the best.

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

Good pics.Thanks. Being a sucker to all kinds of new ideas.Bought all the tools and wire to "save money":laugh: doing my own shanks.But been sooo busy doing other tying that I haven't got near the shank issue yet.Bought Blanes book too and brushed through it quickly."I'll get to it".

33 mins ago, theshadow said:

Good pics.Thanks. Being a sucker to all kinds of new ideas.Bought all the tools and wire to "save money":laugh: doing my own shanks.But been sooo busy doing other tying that I haven't got near the shank issue yet.Bought Blanes book too and brushed through it quickly."I'll get to it".

Same here. I tried with the Renzetti but the midge jaws weren't going to work. I've been thinking about a second vise for a while (no real reason tho) and it made sense for the shanks. They're fun to tie. I have a few done and I'm heading out in a few. S/b nice water (high) to swing.

Renzetti Presentation with the 3000 series head. I only tie freshwater trout flies. It's nice for average sized flies to small trout flies/midges. On a rare occasion if I tie something bigger like a teaser or big bugger I'll crack out my 1980's Regal. 

26 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Same here. I tried with the Renzetti but the midge jaws weren't going to work. I've been thinking about a second vise for a while (no real reason tho) and it made sense for the shanks. They're fun to tie. I have a few done and I'm heading out in a few. S/b nice water (high) to swing.

And, according to the Regal website,  the Shank head is also designed to tie tube flies as the right side of the head has a groove for tube holding pins.

1 hour ago, MooreLyonQuick said:

Renzetti Clouser Traveler. Before that, it was a Griffin 2a - not a bad vise for the money. 

Same here .... love it for what I tend to tie.

On 6/29/2021 at 7:56 PM, Drew C. said:

I'm just curious. I haven't been able to fish so I'm a bit bored. I tie on a Renzetti Master. I've had it for close to 25 years at this point. Midge jaws are a recent addition and they've been good since I haven't tied anything bigger than trout stuff recently. The standard jaws made small stuff a little harder.

I have been tying on a old regal for years , I tie mostly teasers and bucktail jigs . I recently bought a Peak with large jaws it will take a 8/0 saltwater jig hook . The rotary makes it much easier for me .I should have bought it a few years ago when I first saw. it

I'm just curious. I haven't been able to fish so I'm a bit bored. I tie on a Renzetti Master. I've had it for close to 25 years at this point. Midge jaws are a recent addition and they've been good since I haven't tied anything bigger than trout stuff recently. The standard jaws made small stuff a little harder.

I have been tying on a old regal for years , I tie mostly teasers and bucktail jigs . I recently bought a Peak with large jaws it will take a 8/0 saltwater jig hook . The rotary makes it much easier for me .I should have bought it a few years ago when I first saw. it

On 7/6/2021 at 10:18 AM, flyrodder44 said:

Hey, Philly, it is obvious you do not have cats!  My two Siamese would have fun with your bench. All my materials have to be all put away or covered, especially since they love watching me tie flies when they're not snoozing next to me!

IMG_5243.jpeg

Yes, my cat would want to help me tie too. Tying is therefore a seasonal thing, I do it in the summer when I can take the vise outside.

What's more, since your cats are Siamese, I'm sure they would want to offer you all kinds of advice and helpful commentary. Meow, meow, meow.

Edited by BrianBM
spelling

I got this as a gift a couple of weeks ago . A bit of getting used to had to be care full binding material down . I kept tipping the vice over back at me setting wings and such. Taking a little getting used to binding straight up instead of right back at me . All in all I like it a lot way slower to use though. I do like that I can tie vertically I can get my claws in without getting hand cramps . Would I have shelled out the money for one ? Probably not . But I will get a good deal of use out of it . 

P7310017.JPG

P7310015.JPG

P7310011.JPG

P7310008.JPG