Drew C.

Vise - What do you use?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

I'm just curious. I haven't been able to fish so I'm a bit bored. I tie on a Renzetti Master. I've had it for close to 25 years at this point. Midge jaws are a recent addition and they've been good since I haven't tied anything bigger than trout stuff recently. The standard jaws made small stuff a little harder.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I'm just curious. I haven't been able to fish so I'm a bit bored. I tie on a Renzetti Master. I've had it for close to 25 years at this point. Midge jaws are a recent addition and they've been good since I haven't tied anything bigger than trout stuff recently. The standard jaws made small stuff a little harder.

I have a renzetti master that is in the 25 year old vintage as well. 

My first decent vice was an HMH spartan when I did only trout flies. Next up was dyna king pro vice when I had a need for more saltwater sized hooks. The renzetti was a gift from my wife. I think it was pre - kids. 

She used to just call the fishing manager at Ramsey outdoors that I was close with and say what does he want. He would take care of it. 

I got a couple of Pate reels a couple sage rods and the renzetti vice out of that connection. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Stonfo Transformer.  Love this vise!

3 vises in one, change heads in seconds.

15991_2_.jpg.b52913ee3d939d290304f5d881a1b3ca.jpg

Edited by HillTop

I finally bought a premium vise this year after decades in the game. I picked up a Regal Revolution that will undoubtedly out live me. 

I started with a stamped metal Boy Scout kit vise, moved to a Sunrise that I got at the Sports Authority, then graduated to an Anvil Apex. 

Below is the evolution to the Revolution. 

evol.jpg

Edited by DAQ

Dyna-King Barracuda - I never won anything in a bucket raffle; wife won that and two rods at the only event she ever attended.

I love it but still use my dad's Regal (dating from the early 80's at the earliest and functions perfectly) for smaller stuff and a nail in a board for tube flies.

Blurple928

I’ve had one for over 20 yrs and true to it’s name it’s the vise I bring along to my club meetings and when I’m on the road.

Edited by Orca

6 mins ago, Orca said:

Blurple928

I’ve had one for over 20 yrs and true to it’s name it’s the vise I bring along to my club meetings and when I’m on the road.

Love that Vise! At some point would like to get the Midge Jaws for it...

Regal I got in the 90's ( was an older model too) . 

A pair of Renzetti Travelers I bought the Salt water one and sent me a fresh water vice at the same time. Long story short the seller wanted me to foot the bill to return it . So that's how I got two. 

I have a Couple of Griffins Spider and the Patriot cam. I let out for infrequent tying lessons .

Also have a Thompson model A . 

As for the Kid and Stonefish, an older (well maybe not as old as theirs) Regal Madallion vise, with what they probably now  call a regulag head. I just visited the Regal website: wow! they have quite an array of heads, bases, etc.

It does the job for my needs, except for tube flies where I have to use home-made  tube pins as the vise will not hold a  tube fly tool (like a Eumer).

And, like the Kid, I began tying long ago ( but not as long ago as he did) on a Thompson A vise. 

I "ditto" Hilltop's comments.  Love the thing.  

DAQ, I have the same progression with the BSA vise (bought in 1955 at Camp Wauwepex, then couple of those Sunrises, then Stonfo.  The last will outlast me at 77yo.  But my estate will have to deal with the collection of others. :point: