sytheteacher

My rod of choice for the last sixty years for distance casting

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just purchased a Penn 12 foot casting rod that I placed a Penn 140 on and casted into the horizon.. It made me feel like a kid again because of the distance I was able to cast, past the breakers.. Wow  what a setup.. At the end of the leader I placed a pully rig with a 10/0 circle hook and caught a Striper that was over fifty pounds that was out of the slot limit that I had t release... The circle hook was barbless which made it easy.. What aa fight that made my adrenalin flow.. It was almost as good as getting   la-d.. This was a very exciting experience.. Then I baited up again and casted past the breakers and when I reeled in to check my bait I caught a keeper Fluke that is in the oven already sautéed with onions peppers and olives.. One thing I must say is that Penn can handle a great variety of fishing conditions..     

4 mins ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Man that 140 can cast, but I never could control! Good job!

It's all in the viscosity of the oil that you are lubricating the reel and the adjustment of the side bearing..

1 min ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Oh I would adjust that side alright, if I could find an alum.spool I would mag crap out of it! Lol

The magnets also will work with any other type of metal spool..

14 hours ago, fishhawkxxx said:

Oh I would adjust that side alright, if I could find an alum.spool I would mag crap out of it! Lol

If a spool is non-metal; copper, brass, aluminium etc etc.   washers or slugs can be expoxied to it. Any material that can conduct electricity will work.

Most of the time I would cast a regular conventional reel without any magnets because I process an educated thumb.. To be honest I don't cast very far but I cast far enough to catch monster size fish....