Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnP

Fisheries Seminar - Thanks

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I know there were couple of SOLers at last Saturday's day-long fisheries seminar. I just want to thank all who attended, and those who spoke. Some folks went out of their way to get there, and/or spoke despite the potential for controversy..

~ Jim Lovgren who runs a dragger out of Pt Pleasant agreed to speak, and he basically came in from Hudson Canyon at 5am that morning, then drove out to LI to spend the day at the seminar.

~ Dr Andy Cooper of Audubon Living Oceans came despite the negative press being written about the "enviros" as it pertains to fluke, and in my opinion did a very good job of explaining why Adudbon was behind the fluke lawsuit to begin with.

~ Assemblyman Bob Sweeney gave a very candid talk on the lobbying process, but also described dymanics between a bill being introduced vs. a bill that is actively pushed through committee and taken onto the floor.

~ Gary Shepherd from Woods Hole gave a layman's talk on how a VPA fish stock assessment is developed, and had graphs of various stocks depicting growth overfishing, recruitment overfishing, etc. And I think he was able to convey ideas to a group that probably had little if any background in statistics or population dynamics.

~Gordon Colvin came from the NY DEC to give his views on the fluke situtaion, depsite the fact that this issus is still red hot, which kind of put him in the hot seat at times.

Working from memery, the registration list had folks from : CCA-NY, CCA-CT, CCA-TX, RFA, MSA, LIBBA, Prof Light Tackle Guides, NYFTTA, Comm Hook and Line Fish Assoc, Fisherman's Dock Cooperative, Southampton College, University of Delaware, Audubon, CUNY, SUNY Stony Brook, NY Public Interest Research Group, NYDEC, Farragut Striper Club, Captree Boatman's Asoc., LI Comm Fish Assoc., Gateway Striper Club, Norcross Foundation, Noreast Saltwater.

If time permits, perhaps I can relay a little of what I learned. Here are a few factiods that I jotted down.

The Audubon's fluke lawsuit position says a lot of things, but one thing that hopefully nobody can argue with - What does it say about the fisheries management process when we are actually working with a management plan that has a 82% chance of failure?

From Assemblymen Sweeney's talk: He said that if he gets 12 (twelve) handwritten letters on a bill, he considers that "a lot."

From Gary Shepherd's talk, depsite the futuristsic sound of stock assessment technique known as "Virtual Population Analysis," the technique was first introduced in 1918 and is now used pretty much worldwide.

Hey JohnP,

Congratulations on a good show! I heard the show was well attended and very informative. I really wanted to attend but unfortunately I had previous commitments (meetings) at the Suffern show. Let's get together soon and have a few cold ones.

"Crazy" Alberto