Goldy

Bending flag wire

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I would go by weight. And if you are going to add lead to the flag then have enough room for the lead. If looking to save, you can use thinner diameter material like that wire leader wire they sell. That would be a lot cheaper. It would have aesthetic downsides though. 

I use the cutoffs from the plugs I wire, which makes that decision for me. I use a fly tying vise to tie flags and I need about 1/2" of wire sticking past the hair to get them into the vise. 3-4" sounds about right to start, make the loop, then I leave mine straight, into the vise for thread/hair/epoxy then the wire gets cut to length after everything has hardened.

8 hours ago, Ed White said:

I use the cutoffs from the plugs I wire, which makes that decision for me. I use a fly tying vise to tie flags and I need about 1/2" of wire sticking past the hair to get them into the vise. 3-4" sounds about right to start, make the loop, then I leave mine straight, into the vise for thread/hair/epoxy then the wire gets cut to length after everything has hardened.

Thanks ed

1 hour ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Just don't forget that the end of the plug is like the end of a seesaw and whatever gets put down there could have a big effect on how it sits and action!

Depends on the plug.  For most pencils that is the pivot point.

3 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Depends on the plug.  For most pencils that is the pivot point.

Yeah center of gravity way in the back so that flag size much less important as its a short lever...on pencil. Good point! 

On 6/29/2021 at 1:14 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

Just don't forget that the end of the plug is like the end of a seesaw and whatever gets put down there could have a big effect on how it sits and action!

So are u saying tying a flag on a swimmer instead of a hook changes things drastically 

Weight of a teaser tail is generally less of an issue than drag. Depends on the plug and how much mass the tail contributes. I typically use bucktails or hackle so weight isn't my primary concern. If your adding to replace a set of rear trebles that's a different story 

On 7/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, BassAssasin said:

Weight of a teaser tail is generally less of an issue than drag. Depends on the plug and how much mass the tail contributes. I typically use bucktails or hackle so weight isn't my primary concern. If your adding to replace a set of rear trebles that's a different story 

I hear ya.   But doesnt that generally just bring it up higher in the water column if i remove the back hook

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve been doing something a little different for flags. I’m using single strand wire leader, wrapping it around a mandrel 3 or 4 times to form the loop, then bending it out straight and chucking it in a fly tying vise and tying on the buck tail. When it’s done, trim off the excess wire, and thread the coiled portion onto the plug loop like a split ring. It’s not strong, but who cares, it’s a flag. Anyway, it works, but I’m still dialing in the wire size. Too small, and it’s hard to tie on the buck tail, too large and it’s tough to get a small loop off the mandrel. 

Edited by Kent I
Typo