plinker

2 pin centrifugal brake question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What can I do with a 2 pin system to fine tune the centrifugal brake? The photos shows the OE brakes, randomly positioned on the pins. At the moment, the pins, brakes and friction ring are not lubed.

Since the brakes pretty much fall off the pins, I don't think locating the brakes all the way in or out matters. I set the spool after each lure change, but what options do I have for the brakes?

Thanks in advance.

BB-2N.jpg

BB-2N brakes.jpg

Take them off... I remove the brakes completely from my Curado 100Ds and lubricate the spool bearings with TSI321 for surf casting.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some don’t touch it, but I use slight tweaks of the spool tension. Used with the centrifugal brakes, I can fine tune for different baits.

When the brakes are pushed in (off), they should not travel to the end of the shaft. When engaged, they should be able to slide out to the end of the shaft as the spool rotates.

Edited by cheech
Add

I've had the brakes out for quite a long time as the reel mostly see's surf perch on a gulp rig. It just seems more conventient to have them in when casting non-stop, especially when it's windy. I do us the spool tensioner adjustment when I change lures.

I have not tried TSI 321, but will get some. Thanks guys.

Most importantly keep them dry. Make sure they can slide freely. You can also change sizes. You can use smaller blocks from other reels as long as the fit the pin and reach the inner race. you do not have to use 2 bocks. In a lot of my reels I only use 1 small block. When it comes to oil, less is better. you only need to make sure the balls and races have a coating. you don't have to flood the bearings with a lot of excess oil that will migrate all over the spool and side plates making a mess. 

Big Dave, thanks for the great info. I have a few different sets of brakes from other reels. If they fit, I'll give them a try. It's pretty easy to swap out brakes, even on the beach, if I can find a place to sit down.

On 6/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, cheech said:

Some don’t touch it, but I use slight tweaks of the spool tension. Used with the centrifugal brakes, I can fine tune for different baits.

When the brakes are pushed in (off), they should not travel to the end of the shaft. When engaged, they should be able to slide out to the end of the shaft as the spool rotates.

You don't push these brakes, they slide freely, if your trying for distance, remove 1, use lighter brakes, replace bearings w/ hybrid ceramic, no oil, just clean.

The bb2 was a very fast reel, I had a tough time casting one.

8 hours ago, plinker said:

Big Dave, thanks for the great info. I have a few different sets of brakes from other reels. If they fit, I'll give them a try. It's pretty easy to swap out brakes, even on the beach, if I can find a place to sit down.

Those brakes are highly sought after in my local.