AClarke

Waders Leaking

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

How long do your waders last?

I bought a pair of Simms stocking foot freestone waders last year around July/august and they already leak pretty badly. If I’m truly up to my waist in the water I’ll be soaked through with water in the boots after an hour or less of fishing.

I tend to walk a lot in them and have done some climbing on and through some Boulder fields but there don’t seem to be any obvious holes or abrasions and I have taken decent care of them. It seems like the seams are the problem but it’s hard to tell. Not only that but the front zipper pouch busted apart earlier this spring. 

For the 300 bucks they cost I would have expected more than less than a full season out of them. 

Any recommendations on resealing seams, patching, or maintaining these? Simms seems to have a decent warranty/repair center but has anyone had any experience with them? I don’t exactly want to send my waders back and be without them for the next two months. 

Anyone have recommendations on a pair of waders that are tough but don’t have the price tag? If waders are only going to last me a season I might as well go the cheap option. 

Edited by AClarke

2 hours ago, AClarke said:

I bought a pair of Simms stocking foot freestone waders last year around July/august and they already leak pretty badly. If I’m truly up to my waist in the water I’ll be soaked through with water in the boots after an hour or less of fishing.

I tend to walk a lot in them and have done some climbing on and through some Boulder fields but there don’t seem to be any obvious holes or abrasions and I have taken decent care of them. It seems like the seams are the problem but it’s hard to tell. Not only that but the front zipper pouch busted apart earlier this spring. 

For the 300 bucks they cost I would have expected more than less than a full season out of them. 

Any recommendations on resealing seams, patching, or maintaining these? Simms seems to have a decent warranty/repair center but has anyone had any experience with them? I don’t exactly want to send my waders back and be without them for the next two months. 

Anyone have recommendations on a pair of waders that are tough but don’t have the price tag? If waders are only going to last me a season I might as well go the cheap option. 

Try Frogg togg Hellbender stocking foots. Going on two seasons with them and they are still dry even though I have tortured them. I am very bad with waders and usually only get one season ( 90 plus surf trips) out of a pair. I am very impressed with the Frogg Toggs.

Over the years I have had better luck with the cheap ones.

Pay $75.00, get 2 or 3 seasons or pay $300.00 for 2 or 3 seasons.

Truthfully, the cheapo brands often last longer.

And never, ever get "lightweight" or "breathable" waders.

I've got a pair of Frogg Toggs ANURA II that I bought in 2016, the sole of one of the feet finally wore out to the point they were leaking toward the end of last season.  As a reference I fish in waders ~40/50 times a year.  Used a wetsuit repair kit from Gear Aid (really simple iron on patch).  Have used them 5 times since with no issue.

Even the waders with high price tags are junk, I'm gonna try some Flex Seal paint on some older Orvis breathables I have, i think they leak where the bootfoot meets the pant leg. Can't hurt to try, too many pairs of waders that are worthless.

9 hours ago, AClarke said:

Glad you posted this. I was just about to order a pair of Simms. I was looking at the G4’s. Simms only offers custom sizing orders but on in the g3 and g4. But if I’m going to drop 600-700 on a pair of waders im thinking I need to get a hell of a lot longer than 1 to 2 seasons out of them.  I curious how you’ll make out with the warranty on them. Good luck 

1 hour ago, Bwstriper44 said:

Glad you posted this. I was just about to order a pair of Simms. I was looking at the G4’s. Simms only offers custom sizing orders but on in the g3 and g4. But if I’m going to drop 600-700 on a pair of waders im thinking I need to get a hell of a lot longer than 1 to 2 seasons out of them.  I curious how you’ll make out with the warranty on them. Good luck 

I’m out on the block for a few days (no fishing gear unfortunately) but I’m going to look at the frog toggs and try and go the warranty route when they get in. I’ll post an update if anything comes out of it

I really don't like breathable waders.

Give me a pair of Converse rubber industrial waders they would use in the Cranberry Bogs.

Breathable material is too much trouble, don't last, ruin to early.

Two major problems, fit and stress points.

Let's address fit first. You need to go baggy.

It has to be loose fitting, fit tight doesn't work, so if you're a large body, .... forget about it?

Second, stress points..... like knees were you bend, butt when you sit.

In both cases, stretching the material is what cause the leaks, not rips or torn material.

51 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Give me a pair of Converse rubber industrial waders they would use in the Cranberry Bogs.

It has to be loose fitting, fit tight doesn't work, so if you're a large body, .... forget about it?

In both cases, stretching the material is what cause the leaks, not rips or torn material.

Yep, they were large talls. I’m 6’2 240 and they fit well but just a little to tight in the knees to be climbing boulders and being to rough. Oh well lesson learned. 

3 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Those rubber waders are sweat suits and heavy, a night in them will make you look at something lighter. The problem is they all leak, most around a year or so, some go 3-4, I had Orvis Pro Guides that used to last 3-4 seasons. Todays stuff is just poorly made.

Old Red Ball Master Series Canvas were durable and heavy, but not rubber heavy like Graylites.

Unless you’re forking cash for  Simms g3 or g4 lifetime warranty,  which I haven’t done yet, I snag a pair of white river fly waders from bass pro or cabelas for $79.99 when they’re on sale, consistently give me 2 seasons 

Edited by NewEngBoy011

17 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Old Red Ball Master Series Canvas were durable and heavy, but not rubber heavy like Graylites.

I had a set of Red Balls back when... they were the best.

All waders leak. I usually buy a $250-$350 pair of waders… Simms, Orvis, Patagonia and use for 2-3 seasons fishing 120+ trips a year.  They must be lightweight breathable stocking foot waders.  They will leak eventually and be fixed if under warranty or I will seal the seams myself  and make them leak “less”. Almost all leaks are at seams and a few wet spots after a couple of hours wading is ok by me. I don’t fish frigid waters. You can definitely get cheaper waders that will perform the same. I like to have inside and outside pockets and other features along with being lightweight for a lot of walking throughout the season even in hotter months.