Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DMacLeod

People suck

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My wife and I took the tin boat out to Mousam Lake  today to do a little fishing.   Once the wind picked up and the jet skiers woke up we decided to head in.     As we were puttering in we watched 3 different boats unload and motor out through the no wake zone.     As we got closer to the dock we could see a 18' old fiberglass boat having trouble.  They had 2 old wooden oars out and were trying to get over to the dock.   The wind wasn't cooperating though and kept trying to push them over to the boats tied up to a boat yard dock.   

We went past the public dock and had them throw us a rope.  We towed them over to the public ramp and they tied up thanking us.

There is no way the other 3 boats didn't see them struggling and none of them volunteered to help.     Hence the title; people suck.

Just another example showing how the world is changing for the worse. I'm a believer things are going wrong and theres little hope for the future generations of this great nation. hard to stay home but when you do go out the traffic and people ruin it.

In the future, karma will punish them, while you will be rewarded.

It's the way these things work.

I will almost always tow someone with a problem.  But the "almost" is significant.

One morning I was headed back to the dock in Copaigue after a few hours weakfishing on Long Island's Great South Bay.  I was passing Babylon Cove when a sailboat waves me over.  So I slow down and approach the sailboat to see what the problem was.  The guy says that he needs a tow to get back to his slip in Babylon Cove.  There was the usual midday breeze starting to rise, so I pointed out that he was a sailboat, and given the direction of the breeze, could easily raise his sail and get back to the dock that way.  But the guy wasn't having any of that, because if he had to sail "That would take too long."  At that point, I pushed up the throttle and left him to his own devices.

The other exception is boats that run out of fuel.  Do that, and I'll be glad to stand by them and radio in to SeaTow or TowBoatUS and ask them to bring out a can of gas.  But unless the wind is blowing hard or the boat is in some other kind of jeopardy, I'm not going to throw them a line.  Making sure that you have enough fuel to get out and back, with enough in reserve for unexpected problems, is one of the most basic aspects of running a boat.  Paying a tow service a significant price for a few gallons of gas will help them remember to get it right the next time.

Posted (edited)

Lakes are a different story because commercial towers operate on a limited number of them, but every recreational boater who operates in salt water in the US should have a towing membership. If they need help they’re receiving it for free from a professional. 

Edited by Seadogg

You had me at the header, didn't even need to read the story. I'll agree "people suck" every time.  Sets me up to be pleasantly surprised when they don't.  

On 6/27/2021 at 0:34 PM, DMacLeod said:

We went past the public dock and had them throw us a rope.  We towed them over to the public ramp and they tied up thanking us.

There is no way the other 3 boats didn't see them struggling and none of them volunteered to help.     Hence the title; people suck.

100% correct. Which is why you will be getting the medical bill in the mail for the torn shoulder & rope burn any day now.

BTW, I would have done the same while in the back of my mind thinking I know this will bite me in the ass somehow.

I have towed a boat 3 times in the last 5 years and jump started another.

5 weeks ago me and a buddy of mine pulled a guy out of the water between Marblehead and Cat Island.  His kayak sank. it was floating but submerged.  He lost his phone and his life vest floated away because he wasn't wearing it.  I can confirm that he did have one because I found it about 2 miles from where we picked him up.  He was wearing shorts, t shirt, sneakers, and a hat.  He had been in the water about 20 minutes (his estimation)

Water temp was 51 but the air temp was 78 so he warmed up fast.  

I always keep an eye out for people in need.

On 6/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, SB59 said:

100% correct. Which is why you will be getting the medical bill in the mail for the torn shoulder & rope burn any day now.

Naw, people aren't like that up here.  This isn't  MA or NY. :D

On 6/30/2021 at 8:18 PM, Shake-n-Bake said:

...his life vest floated away because he wasn't wearing it...

He was wearing shorts, t shirt, sneakers, and a hat. 

Water temp was 51...

Can't fix stupid.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:17 AM, ermghoti said:

Can't fix stupid.

Educate ignorant, 

Medicate crazy, but yes, 

Can't fix stupid. 

On 6/27/2021 at 0:43 PM, ken r said:

In the future, karma will punish them, while you will be rewarded.

It's the way these things work.

I dunno.  I dont think there is some over arching karma.  I have seen some really piss poor people do extremely well, and some very decent people not be able to catch a break.    For years.  

I hope I am wrong, it'd be nice to think there's a cosmic karmic thing that keeps balance of actions.