foxfai

Realistically, how far can you cast with a light setup?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, foxfai said:

This post by no mean looking for the right setup etc etc. I am putting together a light setup to fish tins or bucktail from shore. 

 

On a 7.5- 8' light 0.5 to 1.5oz rod, 3000-4000 size reel with 15-20lb braid casting a 1oz tin or bucktail. Without wind being a factor, how far can you cast?100 yards?

Your not typically going to be casting bucktails 100 yards with any outfit let alone 7.5 to 8 foot ….50-60 yards maybe. Tin you will get better distance. All that said, I have put together a few light close to 9 foot  outfits over the years that can consistently toss tin 100 yards. Your talking longcast spools and lighter than normal line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, snag777 said:

i did the test

you have no advantige  with longer 8' to 12' surf rod casting 1 oz and 11/2 oz over St.croix premier spining 7' light/fast action ,you only work harder and cast 10' longer cast.

BG 300 or 400,is fine.

if you cast 2 oz the surf rod cast longer only for one reason,the light rod can not help with loading the rod.

I can possibly agree with this if your talking about a jig or perhaps or another lure that would be considered not so aero dynamic. However a longer even 9 foot rod with a matched reel would smoke a a 7 footer tossing a 1.5 oz tin like a kastmaster. I might be misunderstanding your post. Not trying to be argumentative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the insights. I never measure my cast and very bad at guessing distance. What I think I've casted with my setup seems way off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, foxfai said:

Thanks for all the insights. I never measure my cast and very bad at guessing distance. What I think I've casted with my setup seems way off.

i know how long is every cast.

just mesure one turn on reel handle,pul line from top eylet 50" and put clip on line,make one turn with handle on reel and mesure that,my reel one turn is 24"=2'.

when i start fishing i cast longest distance and count my turns,every day the casting distance is defrent it depend on wind resistance .

when i am fishing i do not have to count all time,when i hook fish i count ,it tels me how far is the fish when is more fish there  then i know when to expect hit.

 

i have new 8'6" st.croix premier medium heavy and it is siting home all time,i tested that rod up to 11/2 oz lures,i have no advantige over 7' light fast rod,only work harder.

i can cast this 7' rod only one hand with my wrist,and i lift 7 lb fish  10' high on rocks.i use 20# or 30# braid with 3' mono leader 20 # and i am catching fish from 3" to 30".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, snag777 said:

i know how long is every cast.

just mesure one turn on reel handle,pul line from top eylet 50" and put clip on line,make one turn with handle on reel and mesure that,my reel one turn is 24"=2'.

when i start fishing i cast longest distance and count my turns,every day the casting distance is defrent it depend on wind resistance .

when i am fishing i do not have to count all time,when i hook fish i count ,it tels me how far is the fish when is more fish there  then i know when to expect hit.

 

i have new 8'6" st.croix premier medium heavy and it is siting home all time,i tested that rod up to 11/2 oz lures,i have no advantige over 7' light fast rod,only work harder.

i can cast this 7' rod only one hand with my wrist,and i lift 7 lb fish  10' high on rocks.i use 20# or 30# braid with 3' mono leader 20 # and i am catching fish from 3" to 30".

I have always appreciated your insights thanks for sharing your experiences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont see 75yds being too tough to achieve with your lighter setup so long as there is no wind in your face casting. 100yds may need some wind assistance

 

I regularly use a 7' st croix with a 3000 BG spooled with 15lb Sufix 832 and I can cast a 1oz bucktail with gulp a pretty good distance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

real world realistically?  under 1oz or so, 20-50yards.
otherwise its like saying, i looked in my pants and say its about a foot long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, snag777 said:

i know how long is every cast.

just mesure one turn on reel handle,pul line from top eylet 50" and put clip on line,make one turn with handle on reel and mesure that,my reel one turn is 24"=2'.

when i start fishing i cast longest distance and count my turns,every day the casting distance is defrent it depend on wind resistance .

when i am fishing i do not have to count all time,when i hook fish i count ,it tels me how far is the fish when is more fish there  then i know when to expect hit.

 

i have new 8'6" st.croix premier medium heavy and it is siting home all time,i tested that rod up to 11/2 oz lures,i have no advantige over 7' light fast rod,only work harder.

i can cast this 7' rod only one hand with my wrist,and i lift 7 lb fish  10' high on rocks.i use 20# or 30# braid with 3' mono leader 20 # and i am catching fish from 3" to 30".

I never measured any casts but counted seconds as a basis for comparison. Since the gear ratio is constant but the spool diameter decreases with each subsequent layer of line so will the measurement as to how much line is taken up per a single revolution of the reel handle.

Edited by SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2021 at 9:11 AM, foxfai said:

This post by no mean looking for the right setup etc etc. I am putting together a light setup to fish tins or bucktail from shore. 

 

On a 7.5- 8' light 0.5 to 1.5oz rod, 3000-4000 size reel with 15-20lb braid casting a 1oz tin or bucktail. Without wind being a factor, how far can you cast?100 yards?

How far? Not very, but probably far enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my "lighter" outfit that I looking for distance, I found the line makes a huge difference and now fish Gliss on that outfit. I have also invested in some tungsten "tins', at 1.4x the weight of lead and little wind resistance I can take a bite of a sandwich before it hits the water...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SC said:

I never measured any casts but counted seconds as a basis for comparison. Since the gear ratio is constant but the spool diameter decreases with each subsequent layer of line so will the measurement as to how much line is taken up per a single revolution of the reel handle.

you talking teory.

i am talking praktise

if you put line counter on your line you will realize first 100' is no defrent on the handle turn.

if you have defrent than your spool is uderfiled.

for casting competition you need to  mesure in inches,i am fishing i do not care abouth 5' defrent i am fishing.,and do not have to weist my time go to field for test ,i am doing that while i am fishing.i am doing that 60 years.

 

moust time i cast HJ#14 that is 5/8 oz lure and i cast from 60' bad wind to 240' with heavy wind in back.

that 240' was my longest cast with that 7' rod.

Edited by snag777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, snag777 said:

i did the test

you have no advantige  with longer 8' to 12' surf rod casting 1 oz and 11/2 oz over St.croix premier spining 7' light/fast action ,you only work harder and cast 10' longer cast.

BG 300 or 400,is fine.

if you cast 2 oz the surf rod cast longer only for one reason,the light rod can not help with loading the rod.

Thats because the rods are the same length from tip to reel seat. Your essentially casting the same length rod and you hand placment is different.

 

buy an 11 foot salmon/steelhead rod and test the difference there. You’ll see a big difference in distance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.