foxfai

Realistically, how far can you cast with a light setup?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

This post by no mean looking for the right setup etc etc. I am putting together a light setup to fish tins or bucktail from shore. 

On a 7.5- 8' light 0.5 to 1.5oz rod, 3000-4000 size reel with 15-20lb braid casting a 1oz tin or bucktail. Without wind being a factor, how far can you cast?100 yards?

I fish a similar setup.  With the right lure probably 75- 100yds.  

But I don't push myself.  If I need distance, I'd choose something that would get it done with less energy needed.   

23 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Question confuses me. Big difference in casting difference between a tin and a bucktail.

Well then, if that's the cast what's the distance for tin and one for bucktail?

I just thought they would cast similar distance with the same weight.

17 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I fish a similar setup.  With the right lure probably 75- 100yds.  

But I don't push myself.  If I need distance, I'd choose something that would get it done with less energy needed.   

Thanks. Say 100 yard for a normal cast, adding wind / drift etc, you'd need about 150-175 yards of line on the reel to fish, right?

This is the is dilemma for Albie fishing from shore … you want a light setup that can cast 20-30 gram lure 100 yards plus with minimal effort. I always opt for the longest light action surf rod that I can find. Generally a 9 to 10’ rod is the ticket. I would judge the rod on how it casts tins and accept how it cast bucktails.

14 mins ago, jesgord said:

I can cast a setup like this with a 1/32oz jig about 100,000,000 yards ....give or take a couple of feet

If you use lighter braid you should be able to get 10 or 15 extraa yards of casting distance. 

i did the test

you have no advantige  with longer 8' to 12' surf rod casting 1 oz and 11/2 oz over St.croix premier spining 7' light/fast action ,you only work harder and cast 10' longer cast.

BG 300 or 400,is fine.

if you cast 2 oz the surf rod cast longer only for one reason,the light rod can not help with loading the rod.

I would say tossing a 1oz. bucktail or tin squid with a 7.5' or 8' rod, you'd be lucky to get it past 75 yards, thats a good toss for those parameters. 100 yards is a long way, maybe 2oz. with a 9' or 10'. Not to worry so much, most fish are at your feet or just past the first wave. 

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

I would say tossing a 1oz. bucktail or tin squid with a 7.5' or 8' rod, you'd be lucky to get it past 75 yards, thats a good toss for those parameters. 100 yards is a long way, maybe 2oz. with a 9' or 10'. Not to worry so much, most fish are at your feet or just past the first wave. 

I'd be lucky to get a 1 oz bucktail close to 75yds with any rod - assuming the bucktail has any hair on it. 

With my 10' black hole suzuki and 15lb diamond braid, stradic 5k and a 1.5oz gunslinger I can tickle Spain's right nut on a good cast. It all depends on the blank  itself, and guide layout and spacing.