basshole918

First scare on the rocks

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Was fishing a SS jetty the other day during incoming. Started At the back and had a few  fish but got the itch to go towards the front side even after seeing some big waves come over the rocks . First cast in I saw the biggest wave I’ve ever seen come straight at me . I had no time to react and just turned around and braced for impact. Before I knew it I went head first into the rocks . Split my thump open , banged up knee and arm . The 2 other guys on the jetty didn’t even notice me . My first thought was to not lose my vs250 and hold on for dear life lol.  Def feeling sore today but thankful to be alive . Fortunately I  was still able to fish even though blood was pouring from my hand for the next hour or so. Prob should have gotten stitches . Glad I had korkers but honestly don’t know if they really made any difference . Definitely have a newfound respect for the ocean  . Scared me to death and I said never again but now I’m kinda ready to go back . Stay safe guys . 

1 min ago, Bwstriper44 said:

Yah gotta always be thinking and aware of your surroundings when your fishing on jetty’s. Always remember no fish is worth your life.

I used to say that too . Unfortunately I’m the moment I put my vs first . Guess my life is worth about 800$. 

Safety is paramount. There are treads here that cover safety.

I’ve been knocked down and knocked off. Fortunately I was a younger man and I was able to get out.

Left the jetty last evening before the moon high tide. Did not feel comfortable.

Even if you use common sense keep an eye on the ocean, rouge waves are always a danger.

I used to try to stay back and watch to see how big the sets are before committing myself. But I think no matter how careful you are, it's inevitable that you will eventually have a few mishaps when you fish the jetty a lot. Better to be paired up with a buddy for some sense of safety. Over the years I have seen people with broken arms, separated shoulders, people knocked out, multiple people requiring stitches and even one person floating in the middle of the inlet on an outgoing tide. The latter I found out later needed some time in the hospital to bring up his core body temp.

Venturing out on a jetty during large waves for an experienced jetty caster is a calculated risk, doing so when it's your first time is not a smart thing.

6 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

glad you are safe, I don't mess around with the front rocks on a jetty even if that's where the bite is.

Yup, I’ll mess with the front rocks only if it’s very calm out. Which is rarely the case, and unfortunately at my nearest jetty that is the only spot worth fishing most days.

Glad you’re okay. It’s a lesson learned. 

I had my first scare back in April wading around Little Neck Bay. I stepped in some mud so loose it took me down to my waist. Not fun, but it’s a reminder to be careful. 

I still remember my dive on the LI Sound jetty two years ago.

I was lucky.

Haven't step on jetty since

Black Eye01.jpg

My experience from back in September 2019.

I was very luck to get out of this with just few scratches.