basshole918

Landing fish on jetty?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

How do you guys land fish on a jetty?. I usually try to always have my landing rock picked out but came into a situation the other day where I had a good size bass that was just too big to control and swam into the rocks  so it did not  work out  as I had planned . I tried to highstick him but he came off the bucktail and fell into the rocks. I did see him get away though. I fish a vs250 and 11 ft airwave elite and usually am able to highstick . Guess I just never had anything big enough to actually put me into this kind of situation. Will a heavier stick like a 3-8 oz make it easier? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nine foot rod is enough for a jetty, and will make it easier to control your landings. I think an eleven is only making it harder on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, giant basshole said:

A nine foot rod is enough for a jetty, and will make it easier to control your landings. I think an eleven is only making it harder on you.

Always thought bigger is better on jetty but now that you say it it does make sense . Probably lost the fish of a lifetime unfortunately too . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, basshole918 said:

How do you guys land fish on a jetty?. I usually try to always have my landing rock picked out but came into a situation the other day where I had a good size bass that was just too big to control and swam into the rocks  so it did not  work out  as I had planned . I tried to highstick him but he came off the bucktail and fell into the rocks. I did see him get away though. I fish a vs250 and 11 ft airwave elite and usually am able to highstick . Guess I just never had anything big enough to actually put me into this kind of situation. Will a heavier stick like a 3-8 oz make it easier? 

Yea ya gotta have your rock picked out…gotta walk the fish down sometimes…gotta leave just enough line to grab the leader but not for the fish to get stuck in the rocks…

 

The 11’ rod definitely put you at a disadvantage. I prefer 10’

 

oh and don’t feel bad. We’ve all done what you did. I high sticked a rod the other day on a fish that was bigger than I thought it was…snap! A friend a mine lost a 25+lb fish trying to land it.

Edited by CLFish5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Bwstriper44 said:

Agree with basshole.  When I go Jetty fishing it’s either a 8’ or 9’ rod.

This is gamechanging for me . Thanks . Do you generally highstick ? I bought the vs250 because of the faster retrieve so would you keep that size reel on with a smaller stick like the 9 ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every jetty is different but think safety first especially when you have a big fish on. If possible move off the jetty and land the big fish from the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 mins ago, basshole918 said:

This is gamechanging for me . Thanks . Do you generally highstick ? I bought the vs250 because of the faster retrieve so would you keep that size reel on with a smaller stick like the 9 ? 

Very rarely.  I like you always find a landing rock before I start casting.  Most of the time I use a 1 piece  9’ lamiglas with no trouble. I like you started out using a longer rod 10’ 6”.  After cycling through serval of my rods. I found out at least in my opinion the shorter rods work the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Yea ya gotta have your rock picked out…gotta walk the fish down sometimes…gotta leave just enough line to grab the leader but not for the fish to get stuck in the rocks…

 

The 11’ rod definitely put you at a disadvantage. I prefer 10’

 

oh and don’t feel bad. We’ve all done what you did. I high sticked a rod the other day on a fish that was bigger than I thought it was…snap! A friend a mine lost a 25+lb fish trying to land it.

I really thought at one point my rod was gonna snap too but as long as I landed the fish I didn’t even care lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im pretty new to jetty crawling, but I do know already that I don't bother with them unless it's somewhere around the high tide.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chisler said:

Im pretty new to jetty crawling, but I do know already that I don't bother with them unless it's somewhere around the high tide.  

 

 

 

 

Yea . I only fish incoming now usually . I’ve been hardcore surf casting  for about 5 yrs   now (5x week) and just love the jetty and wanna learn everything I possibly can about it . Always learning , that’s what I love most about this sport . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, basshole918 said:

Always thought bigger is better on jetty but now that you say it it does make sense . Probably lost the fish of a lifetime unfortunately too . 

Fish jetties long enough and your bound to lose a few. Good to know they are there though. If you think of the mechanics of landing a fish on your own a shorter rod is your friend. Using a wetsuit helps and korkers are a must, but nothing beats having a buddy with you to help you land em .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Fish jetties long enough and your bound to lose a few. Good to know they are there though. If you think of the mechanics of landing a fish on your own a shorter rod is your friend. Using a wetsuit helps and korkers are a must, but nothing beats having a buddy with you to help you land em .

Unfortunately I have no buddies that are into it as much as I am so I’m usually alone . Everytime I bring someone I usually just end up being a babysitter . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing a jetty and landing fish isn’t always easy. First off Korkers are essential. Slippery rocks with weed make for slick terrain. Getting down to land fish with any wave action makes it even more treacherous. Add the cover of darkness and it’s even more treacherous. Scout the rocks around the area you’re fishing before you even make your first cast. Find a spot where you can get down to land it. Watch the wave action. Time the waves.
 

A long handled jetty gaff is extremely handy if you plan on landing big fish or keeping fish. Big fish can be lip gaffes and released. Same with big bluefish and weakfish. It takes a little practice to master this technique, but your landing ratio to lost fish goes way up. Even if you don’t have a partner there usually is someone who will assist you with a big fish. Usually. 
I don’t recommend hoist or swinging fish up a jetty. Broken rods are inevitable, fish falling off and lost in the jetty common, and fish spitting the hooks can find there way into your flesh!  
A good neck light at night is a given. 
 

I would stress that if you want to fish jetties and are new to this type of fishing you:

1. Go and scout it out and get familiar with it in the daytime.

2. Have the necessary equipment with you. Be prepared. A belt knife and pliers capable of cutting through hooks is important and possibly life saving tools. Nothing worse or scarier than a fish on your plug and in your hand at the same time on a slippery rock and heavy wave action. Trust me!

3. Go with a partner. Having someone available to help you land a fish is invaluable. Or if something goes wrong. 
4. Have respect for your fellow fisherman. Jetty etiquette goes a long way and goes both ways. Don’t crowd and become a nuisance.

5. Respect the power of the waves and currents. Don’t underestimate the sea. She will take you in the blink of an eye. Safety is paramount!

6. And lastly, the rocks are hard and can fracture bones and crack skulls. Slow and methodical movement is the norm. Jetty Jockeys and track stars will surely find this out in due time. Those rocks hurt!

Rod length is debatable. I have landed a lot of fish with 9’, 10’ & 11’ rods.

Safety is the most important thing when jetty fishing. Catch fish, have fun, but don’t become a visitor to the nearest hospital or morgue. Taking the time to get familiar with a jetty will be advantageous and rewarding in many ways. Just make sure you have your head on straight. Be aware of rogue waves! They do happen!!!

Hope you find this helpful.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be prepared to loose the fish!

 

I do not mind a lost fish or two if it happens.  C and R without touching lol

 

It is all about finding your landing zone and comfort level.  Sometimes I just figure out another way to catch them if I am not comfortable in a location 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.