wtfooptimax200

Heading to Yarmouth - What to Pack?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll be heading to Yarmouth with the family in late July.  Last time up, we stayed in Sandwich so I focused on the Canal, but this time I'm thinking that I'll focus on non-Canal areas.  Any suggestions for a surf tackle packing list during that time of year?  I'm assuming that I won't need the heavy canal-style tackle, but I don't want to show up and find out that I've got the wrong stuff.  This will be my first time fishing in the area, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Branden

Edited by wtfooptimax200
Fixed a stupid typo

Small soft plastics with a mix of swim bait hooks and jig heads. Use the lightest weight you can cast depending on the wind. Maybe some tins in case there are some bluefish around. 

A setup to cast 3oz. and down.That should handle topwater,eel,chunk,etc. and what Z talks about.:rav:.Riverview B&T on rte 28 S.Yarmouth carries most anything you'll want to toss and help with where.

Edited by theshadow

8ft med/lite rod. 

soft plastics, either sand eel shape like gags whip it fish & r joe bags sand eel  or wide boy like gags whip it fish.  5" minnow type lures, epoxies and a few small pencil poppers. 

Bill Hurley 5" squid plastics also work well. Don't be afraid to head to the north side of the cape, Bay water is a little cooler. 

Depends on what you’re after if it’s shark fishing I’d bring your heavy tackle. You have lots of options that time of year.

Edited by sandbars

On 6/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, theshadow said:

A setup to cast 3oz. and down.That should handle topwater,eel,chunk,etc. and what Z talks about.:rav:.Riverview B&T on rte 28 S.Yarmouth carries most anything you'll want to toss and help with where.

I was planning to stop at Riverview my first morning in town to spend some money and hopefully get some generic suggestions.  Glad to hear that they're well stocked.

7 hours ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

I was planning to stop at Riverview my first morning in town to spend some money and hopefully get some generic suggestions.  Glad to hear that they're well stocked.

Lee is a good guy but that’s exactly what you’ll get is generic advice. He keeps his shop well supplied with fresh bait but don’t plan on getting up to date info. I’ve spent a lot of money there but I appreciate that old school cape attitude.

That area in late July will be mostly schoolies and smaller scup on the south side. Fishing at night would be best. As others suggested, go lite with your offerings. 

On 6/23/2021 at 2:36 PM, WorcBoy said:

8ft med/lite rod. 

soft plastics, either sand eel shape like gags whip it fish & r joe bags sand eel  or wide boy like gags whip it fish.  5" minnow type lures, epoxies and a few small pencil poppers. 

Bill Hurley 5" squid plastics also work well. Don't be afraid to head to the north side of the cape, Bay water is a little cooler. 

8ft med/lite rod. :)

13 hours ago, sandbars said:

Lee is a good guy but that’s exactly what you’ll get is generic advice. He keeps his shop well supplied with fresh bait but don’t plan on getting up to date info. I’ve spent a lot of money there but I appreciate that old school cape attitude.

Exactly how a B & T should be run.  Either google earth the area or buy a map, look for places that appear fishy, points, structure, estuaries (big and small), current, etc.. Access is your biggest concern. Or fish the outer cape beaches at night, its usually barren, other than a few die hards the foot soldier beaches are usually not crowded, seals and mung can be a problem. If your looking to drive on the bay beach,  (west) from Yarmouth on 6A,  you can buy a 4wd pass and  it offers a few miles of fishable waters. Choose your poison, or return to the ditch.

3 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Exactly how a B & T should be run.  Either google earth the area or buy a map, look for places that appear fishy, points, structure, estuaries (big and small), current, etc.. Access is your biggest concern. Or fish the outer cape beaches at night, its usually barren, other than a few die hards the foot soldier beaches are usually not crowded, seals and mung can be a problem. If your looking to drive on the bay beach,  (west) from Yarmouth on 6A,  you can buy a 4wd pass and  it offers a few miles of fishable waters. Choose your poison, or return to the ditch.

Unfortunately there are no bay beaches in Yarmouth except for the little Greys beach.That now has a parking sticker rule due to crowds parking on the road and making it impossible to get down the road[plus that water is very warm and alot of organic matter from the upper marshes of Chase Garden creek].Highlander1 is referring to;The only bayside ORV access is Sandy Neck in Barnstable.As of yesterday that is only open .5 miles and it will cost $190 for a non-res sticker.Don't be surprised if that .5 gets shutoff too.The plovers control all the beaches from now to late July or longer due to weather/tide conditions that could cause renesting issues from storms.You can still park in the main lot at Sandy Neck and walk.Night parking rules can be an issue so it's best to check prior.

6 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Either google earth the area or buy a map, look for places that appear fishy, points, structure, estuaries (big and small), current, etc.

I wish this worked. I'm fairly new at this, but I truly approach it with an open mind. I fished many of the places that are supposed to be good, and many that look good but you never see anyone fishing. Many south-facing beaches from Centerville to Dennis look amazing on paper, but for whatever reason hold no fish (you do start finding some around Dennis, but barely). I don't know if it's the lack of dropoff, warmer temps or wrong currents that swing the fish elsewhere - but you won't see this on google maps. You can even look at Craigville - I'd love to know why there's no bass there even before the crowds show up. There's definitely more to it than google maps, maybe someone with good knowledge of topography, currents and structure around the Cape could tell you why.

Edited by ifishthebadspots

20 hours ago, sandbars said:

I wouldn't expect anything different at a tackle shop.  Just a generic lay of the land will be helpful since it will be my first time fishing there.