RAW

Canadian water stripers, they are doing it right

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Fished the Cape Breton area in 3rd week of Sept. about 5 yrs. ago for Atlantics, zippo. After eating at a local restaurant, I became involved in  discussions about  their  stripers. We went down to an outflow meeting the ocean to see 4-5 guys hooking and landing stripers virtually every cast. I was not prepared for this, but was handed a rod, Simple Cleo spoon was awesome, So this brings me to now. Google their success stories on the 100 fold increase of year round stripers. Obviously bait is more than plentiful. My question is this. Are those originally fish from here? assuming so. Has our our gulfstream flow mover further out with bait? or is just dying for over harvesting or fishing related issues?

1 hour ago, RAW said:

Fished the Cape Breton area in 3rd week of Sept. about 5 yrs. ago for Atlantics, zippo. After eating at a local restaurant, I became involved in  discussions about  their  stripers. We went down to an outflow meeting the ocean to see 4-5 guys hooking and landing stripers virtually every cast. I was not prepared for this, but was handed a rod, Simple Cleo spoon was awesome, So this brings me to now. Google their success stories on the 100 fold increase of year round stripers. Obviously bait is more than plentiful. My question is this. Are those originally fish from here? assuming so. Has our our gulfstream flow mover further out with bait? or is just dying for over harvesting or fishing related issues?

No.  There are three local spawning stocks in Canada:  Gulf of St. Lawrence, St. John's River (New Brunswick), and Shubenacadie River (Nova Scotia).  The populations were overfished and badly depleted for a while, but good management has brought them back.  Now, some people are arguing that management is working too well, and that bass in places such as the Miramachi River are eating too many salmon smolts and threatening the salmon's recovery.

Some fish from the coastal migratory population make it up to Canada, but very few.  Most of the fish that you find there are home grown.

9 hours ago, CWitek said:

No.  There are three local spawning stocks in Canada:  Gulf of St. Lawrence, St. John's River (New Brunswick), and Shubenacadie River (Nova Scotia).  The populations were overfished and badly depleted for a while, but good management has brought them back.  Now, some people are arguing that management is working too well, and that bass in places such as the Miramachi River are eating too many salmon smolts and threatening the salmon's recovery.

Some fish from the coastal migratory population make it up to Canada, but very few.  Most of the fish that you find there are home grown.

Seems like a good problem that should be worked at harder here, It was amazing   Thanks for reply:rav: