puppet

bluefish

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I am new to flyfishing and noticed I can land bluefish without the use of wire...with a decent conversion ratio, but reflecting on the mechanics it is surprising as most hooksets are in the mouth corner and when the fish is going in the other direction or away, the line must be across its mouth. I am trying to understand how this doesnt result in immediate failure.

I dont like using wire, but am wondering how many of you will use it when you know blues are present.  if so, what do you use?

When bluefish are around you have a few options.

Wire is one and a good one if you want to fight and land the bluefish.

Heavy fluro (50# or so) if the blues are mixed with bass and you still want to maximize your odds with the bass

My personal favorite - use flies you don't really care about, many guys will keep a supply of old or beat up flies to donate to the bluefish gods

Finally if the blues are mixed with Albies you do nothing different merely changing your normally pure vocabulary

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 mins ago, puppet said:

I am new to flyfishing and noticed I can land bluefish without the use of wire...with a decent conversion ratio, but reflecting on the mechanics it is surprising as most hooksets are in the mouth corner and when the fish is going in the other direction or away, the line must be across its mouth. I am trying to understand how this doesnt result in immediate failure.

I dont like using wire, but am wondering how many of you will use it when you know blues are present.  if so, what do you use?

A LONG time ago at the Narrow River Inlet big Bluefish showed up in the late late afternoon. I did not have a steel leader on and the fish were breaking off surf casters using atom plugs. I went to my bag on the beach .. and pulled out a short length but standard Steelon leader with barrel swivel on one end & a snap on the other. Tied it on the tippet and put a Major Bunker pattern on (chartreuse over white). I cast it out and a large Bluefish swallowed it whole and ran a 100 yards Awesome! I was using a 10ft 10wt Sage RPL+ rod & Islander FR3 reel - (heavy fly rod gear). I could not have reeled him into the beach without a wire leader.

I've also magically caught & landed large Bluefish with a 30lbs fluorocarbon tippet.... key word magically. The hook set favored the leader (side of mouth ... not in it).

You can make hybrid mono to wire leaders with an Albright knot wrapped / tied over the flexible wire. Works great and keeps the visible leader down sized. If Bluefish are around use wire. I was out at Block Island during a mostly Striper bite ... but lost a fly to the few Bluefish that were around... using a mono leader.

Edited by KironaFly

I can speak to one particular day at Shag point where i caught better than thirty blues with floro and one fly. All in the 8-10 lb class. When i stopped it was not due to fear of leader or lack of interest in a practically bare hook, but for fear the shear mass of fish and the fear one would line my 100$ fly line.

on another note I’m amazed at how differently blues fight on the fly as compared to a plug. For me its night and day.

I carry  some Rio flexible  wire  with me, some very tough , simple yak hair patterns, but in recent years it's been futile around Cape Ann, where I usually fish.  A few yellow eyes spotted, but none hooked.  My time on the water is getting more and more like a bucket list imperative with cancer and neuropathy,  so I'll ask a slightly  off course question:  Where would I stand a better chance of  hooking some blues in early July : the breachways?   Cape?   NJ, maybe Sandy Hook?  I live on the upstate NY/VT border , our least favorite drive is LI, and getting a place to stay is hard to do there, in my experience.  A very general direction is appreciated , as I don't get south of Boston very often. Any thoughts on why the lack of blues coming north?

I would only use wire during an all out extended bltiz and there it's only to avoid retying. Otherwise it's plain old mono, usually 20 and no, I don't tend to lose a lot of flies overall.

Posted (edited) · Report post

30-40# mono and flies tied tarpon style on the back end of shaft of the hook.Loses,yes but hate using wire.Also in blitzes, fish the edges and behind the school.Getting below and behind can produce some nice bass being lazy and picking up the cripples and pieces left by the savages.

Edited by theshadow

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I would only use wire during an all out extended bltiz and there it's only to avoid retying. Otherwise it's plain old mono, usually 20 and no, I don't tend to lose a lot of flies overall.

Right on Drew. I have found the fly loss ratio somewhere around 30% which is ok, but suspect it is bite dependant.  I have seen blues so amped that one time I had a nice bass on spinning gear and a gorilla came out of nowhere and attacked the wake my line made as it cut through the water.  The fish I am on are eating small stuff so the takes are not very aggressive and these are cocktail models.

I will look into wire to stash in my bag.  I would love to load up on a gorilla.  This morning I managed a nice 30" bass that was a football.  Wild stuff on a flyrod.  so much fun and working on my technique.  Bent a few hooks.

11 hours ago, puppet said:

Never ever used wire, Albright knot to a 50-60lb bite tippet 

60 pound floro for me.  Used it all spring.  Go as long as you want.  Shouldn't matter.  3 feet?  much easier to land and handle that way.

I use American Fishing Wire. I think 17lb. I use about an 18" length tied to the end of my leader. I tie an overhand knot in the wire leader, keep the knot loose and slide the the leader through tighten the wire knot and tie a normal clinch knot in the leader that jams against the knot in the wire. Trim the 2 tag ends close to the knots. I carry a small pair of wire cutters when using the wire. 

I have used straight 50 at times too. My leaders are simple - 40 or 50lb ande type mono, ~4’. Loop to loop to my tippet of choice. So, I just drop the tippet sometimes. 

I basically tie up a tarpon leader when sight casting for big blues or when I’m targeting big bass but bluefish are present. 3 feet of 50lb butt, 2 feet of 30lb, 2 feet of 20lb, then about 1 foot of 60lb fluoro connected with a slim beauty knot. It’s uncommon to get cut off unless it’s a huge fish with the hook lodged inside the mouth. Even then chances are good you’ll land the fish.