LarryJ

How can fish finder work with a cover plate over it.

7 posts in this topic

I've never owned a fish finder, but I have used pressure transducers.  My Hobie AI has a built-in slot to mount a Lowrance fish finder / transducer.  Seems like the mounting bracket covers most of the unit under the hull.  How does that thing find fish when it's covered by plastic.  I bought a transom-mount Humminbird 5 which I'm hoping can be retro-fit into the slot made for the Lowrence.

The sonar will shoot right through the plastic. You can actually mount them directly to the bottom of the hull you just won’t have an accurate water temperature.

It can shoot thru but I would advise to make swiss cheese out of the plate if you do any launches there is sand. You can always flush it out with a hose too but who the hell has time for that? 

I miss fishing out of my kayak...3 more weeks maybe. :cry:

14 hours ago, Bigred78 said:

The sonar will shoot right through the plastic. You can actually mount them directly to the bottom of the hull you just won’t have an accurate water temperature.

Intersting.  The mounting hole Hobie created is under the hull, tucked up so the sonar is protected.

14 hours ago, The Riddler said:

It can shoot thru but I would advise to make swiss cheese out of the plate if you do any launches there is sand. You can always flush it out with a hose too but who the hell has time for that? 

I miss fishing out of my kayak...3 more weeks maybe. :cry:

What kayak are you waiting for.  Took some time for mine to arrive.

My fishing boat has a plastic hull nearly half an inch thick, the shoot though sonar works just fine so I wouldn't worry too much about a thinner kayak hull.

On 6/23/2021 at 0:34 PM, LarryJ said:

What kayak are you waiting for.  Took some time for mine to arrive.

Had surgery. Waiting....fishing out of the boat for now....kinda gay.