bob4

Glues and epoxies

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

On my first build I had trouble getting the epoxy I wanted for handles ( Cork). USPS problems. So I did some reading and saw many raving about Tite Bond 2. So I bought some from the local hardware store. I'm here to tell ya that stuff took days to set. The handle is tight now but really? Days? Don't think I'll be using that again.  

I have bought flex bond rod builders epoxy. 30 minute I think. Dries in 2-3 hrs to the touch. A repair I was doing has set up well over night. 

Was wondering if in a pinch thread wrapping epoxy would adhere cork to rods? Have no intention of building one after another so Id hate to see any of this stuff expire. 

3 hours ago, tbush said:

Did you use it to glue the cork handle to the rod? If so, you done messed up A-A-ron.  

What's "it" ? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I mainly build heavy salt water rods for Halibut (Jigging and bait fishing) and Salmon Mooching Rods & Downrigger rods.     EVA grips.

Rod Bond is king for the grips and reel seats.

Flex Coat (Light or heavy depending on the application) or Pac Bay Rod Smith for the wraps.

Way back in the 1980's when I built cork gripped Salmon Rods I used a Urethane glue, can't recall the brand name.   Worked great.

Do not use Gorilla glue!!     Big mess!!

Salmon mooching rod built in early 1980.   Still use it today.   Cork and Urethane glue.    Shown in the wrapper last year when I touched up the wrappings with Flex Coat Lite.

DSCN6323.JPG

DSCN6322.JPG

Edited by Silverado

On 6/22/2021 at 7:39 PM, bob4 said:

Tite Bond 2.  I'm here to tell ya that stuff took days to set. The handle is tight now but really? Days? 

Was wondering if in a pinch thread wrapping epoxy would adhere cork to rods?

CUstom rod building isnt' for everyone.

2 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

CUstom rod building isnt' for everyone.

:laugh:

I learned something not too long ago: in the absence of air, most glues won't set. I was looking for something that didn't have to be very strong -- all it had to do was hold shrink wrap over a cord grip. Rod bond worked great, but I didn't like having to mix it, and I also didn't like having to use something that expensive (and something that I had to mail order). So I went to my local hardware store to see if I could find something that worked. 

First, I tried a spray adhesive. That held great, really well, but it set up too fast: it didn't allow the shrink wrap to move as it shrank. I crossed that off the list (and still have a can of Gorilla spray in the basement if anyone wants it). 

Then I tried a couple of one-piece glues I got at the hardware store -- they both sucked balls, because after a week the glue was still liquid, and hadn't cured. 

I ended up with something as prosaic as it is effective: simple 30 minute epoxy. Yes, it's two-part, and measuring and mixing it is a PITA, something I was trying to get away from with a one-piece glue, but epoxy works extremely well with grips, and just about every hardware store carries it (and the ones that don't have it carry 5 minute epoxy, which works just as well). And I can use it for a lot: I still use Rod Bond for attaching reel seats, but I can use it for household crap, for tying flies, etc. 

But ya know what? I did all this testing -- wait for it! :D -- on test wraps. I didn't do anything on an actual fishing rod until I had something that I knew would work. Why is this part so hard for many people to understand? 

21 mins ago, Belmo said:

But ya know what? I did all this testing -- wait for it! :D -- on test wraps. I didn't do anything on an actual fishing rod until I had something that I knew would work. Why is this part so hard for many people to understand? 

:idea:

And the 2021 winner of the Nobel Prize in rod building is Belmo!