breakway

Identify this travel rod

6 posts in this topic

So a while back, I purchased this from a retired saltwater fisherman who had little to no information on this travel rod. There are no markings, 5 piece spinning rod. I have never seen one of these before and it holds up really well. Ive landed sea bass, fluke and blackfish with this rod without issue. Great backbone support. I was skeptical at first but it hasn't let me down yet. Im curious to know if was ever sold in stores or custom made? Does anyone have an idea? Thanks

IMG_8155.JPG

IMG_8156.jpg

I’d say it looks custom. The fold down guides were around 70’s, 80’s vintage and probably used to facilitate putting the rod in a travel case or possibly luggage. The spigot ferrules look like they were also custom made. The person who made it was a skilled and innovative rod builder. 

Looks custom and is definately a cool piece.  Any idea where the old fisherman lived?  The location could shed some light on custom builders that were active in the area.  A longshot, but maybe.. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, MikeK said:

Looks custom and is definately a cool piece.  Any idea where the old fisherman lived?  The location could shed some light on custom builders that were active in the area.  A longshot, but maybe.. 

As far I know, he lived near springfield mass and would often travel to cape cod. This may be the reason for making a custom travel rod. I am in love with it and almost never want to fish with it just because it’s unique.